Part 16: 'So we run.'

ADELINE P.O.V

I had never felt so alive before. It was ironic as I was now technically dead. Everything felt intensified, I could feel everything. Part of me enjoyed it I was stronger, faster and smarter, although the last one wasn't from vampirism. I felt wary of everyone now, if someone didn't feel right I would eat them.

Kat had no problem with killing, neither did I. Well. I told myself that.

We had decided to go back to Bulgaria. I wanted to see Anna and mother and we were going to look for Kats baby, Sofia.

We approached the cottage we had both grew up. Kat stopped and I could sense her grow tense and her breathing began speeding up. I turned to her.

"Hey, listen we don't have to do this."

"No I want to I do. It's just, this place has so many good memories and yet the bad outweigh them and part of me wants to burn it to the ground." She took a deep breath in and we began walking forward again.

Staring to my right at the field Anna's pony usually stayed in I frowned noticing she wasn't there.

The closer we got the stranger everything was. I couldn't hear anyone speaking or laughing or more likely shouting and then all at once the smell that I craved every moment of every day attacked me from every direction. Blood.

I looked over at Kat and watched as her eyes filled with fear.

We sped into the house the overwhelming stench of blood tearing through my senses the closer I got. When we burst through the door there was blood all over the floor covering it like a river. My eyes were welling with tears and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I had completely forgotten Kat and all I could focus on was the red substance on the floor like a sinister yellow brick road. I followed it praying there was nothing wrong and that was when I saw it. Anna lying on the floor her eyes still open. She looked at peace, nearly normal except she was there was a hole in her chest where her heart should be. I dropped to the floor screaming and crying. All I could smell now was Anna and her rotten flesh there was no air just that smell I began screaming again. Kat sprinted over immediately seeing Anna she sat beside me and threw her arms around my shoulders. I couldn't breathe, everything hurt it was all too much.

We lay there for what felt like hours all I could look at was Anna.

"Don't look anymore." She let go of me and walked over to our little sister. She closed Anna's eyes and took off her cloak laying it over her covering the hole. She placed a kiss on her forehead a sob racking through her. I got up and walked over, placing a kiss on her head.

Something had caught Kat's eye and she got up still sobbing and walked to the bedroom this had all happened where she had given birth to Sofia. I followed her silent tears streaming constantly down my face.

She walked through her old bedroom door and began screaming. I ran in and saw Papa with a sword through his heart pinned to the wall. I was silent. Yes, I had hated him but he was my father and he had been good at times. And now he was just gone. There was a piece of paper pinned to his chest as I went to go and see what it was I noticed that Katerina was not crying at him instead she was slumped over something on the bed. The closer I got I realised it was Mama. I couldn't look at her. Her once-loving eyes now glazed over with a look void of life, her hands once warm and always baking now lay at her sides grey. I refused to look at them anymore and instead turned to the parchment on my father's chest.

I noticed the writing immediately it was Niklaus' I used to sit beside him as he wrote letter after letter. It read:

They spoke of you my swan, even your father, fondly surprisingly. The little one spoke of you the most telling me you were the most amazing person in the world. When I told them we were together your father slapped me on the back and congratulated me, your mother went white and the little one told me you were too good. She wasn't wrong. Once I told them what I was here for though their attitudes quickly changed. These two fools in here I killed for you, they put you through so much, my love. The little one, well you ripped my heart out so I did the same to her. Let me leave you with this my love you can run as long and as far as you want but I will find you. You will be mine again. I love you.

I screamed and began throwing everything I could get my hands on. They're dead because of me. I might as well of killed them myself. It's all my fault.

Kat stood up and grabbed my wrists stopping me from doing anything. I thrust the piece of paper into her hands.

"It's all my fault he did it because of me. They're dead because of me. I'm so so sorry." She ripped up the paper and grabbed my face in her hands.

"It's not your fault ok. He did this because he's a monster."

"I loved him."

"I know, I know. We're both fools."

"How do we- I mean how are we meant to go on."

"Because we have to."

"Where did I go wrong?"

"It's just you and me now." I looked at her. It was a silent promise to each other that we had to move on. That part of me that didn't want to feel crept its way into my mind but I pushed it away. I had to do this for Kat.

"You do know we can't stop running he will catch us," I warned her.

"So we run."