Someone Was Hopeful

You suddenly found yourself in front of the lift, and pressed the button, noticing your fingers shake slightly. You shook the energy out of them before shoving your hands in your pockets, painfully aware of Tom shifting beside you.

But you couldn’t think of a single thing to say. You felt riled up and completely blank at the same time. Sure, you’d kissed Tom first, but then that response was just..

Why the hell did a stupid kiss get you this riled up? A stupid kiss with your stupid brother’s best friend?

The lift dinged, and the doors opened, and you were quick to jump in and press the button. You’d already got your room key when you first arrived, so now you just had to get to your floor. With Tom. Then sleep in the same room.

Why did that idea suddenly seem like such a big deal?

After the doors closed, and the lift started moving, you and Tom were still stood in absolute silence. Then you felt something touch your elbow.

Tom’s hand.

“I’m sorry.” He said, looking at you straight in the eyes. You swallowed.

“Don’t be. It’s fine. It worked. Nothing more.” He nodded, then looked back at the doors.

This was weird. This was ridiculous, it was only a kiss. From your brother’s best friend. A kiss that made your body feel like it was on fire. You rubbed your hands over your face. You were an idiot to invite him tonight. Although he looked so handsome, in that suit, his hands on..

“This is weird.” You heard him say beside you. You laughed awkwardly.

“Yeah, a little. But it’s fine.”

“How is it fine? We are being weird. I didn’t think… I don’t want…”

“We’ve been friends for years. Then we kissed. Twice. That’s not normal for us, which is why it’s weird.”

“How do we stop being weird?” You looked to him, staring at the floor again. You felt sad. You didn’t want things to be weird between you, but you couldn’t shrug off the feeling that…that the kiss was good. Both of them. But that second kiss was…It was really good.

“Umm…” You finally said, swirling your tongue around your suddenly dry mouth. “Maybe we should do it again.” You laughed. You heard him choke slightly on his breath.

“W-what?” You turned to face him.

“It was all…sudden and new and exciting, something we have never done before. Maybe if we do it again it won’t be so…” His eyes flicked down to your lips.

“You thought it was exciting?”

“Didn’t you? I thought that’s why you’re being weird now.” He opened his mouth, but stopped whatever words he was about to say, then he looked back up to you.

Then he hit the red button, and the lift ground to a halt, and you stumbled with the movement.

“Tom! What the hell!” He didn’t say anything, he just looked at you, and walked towards you.