I'm Testing Something

You spent the next couple of hours playing a fun little game. You and Tom would chat to your co-workers, who absolutely fan-girled over the 'gorgeous actor' you'd brought, or you'd be dancing, and you were having a great time. Then whenever Tom left you alone, for the toilet, or to get some more drinks (or snacks in your case), you timed how long it would take Steven to appear by your side.

The record so far was three seconds.

You always did the same, listened to him drivel on about what-not, grunting in response, staring at Tom's figure until he caught your eyes and realised what was happening. Then the game was how long would it take Steven to disappear once Tom had started walking back to you.

The record so far was two seconds.

This time, Tom was in the toilet, and Steven, of course, was by your side as you picked at the snacks on the bar. But this time, Steven wasn't talking about himself, or how you looked, but Tom.

"I just don't see it, Luka. He doesn't seem like a very attentive boyfriend. He's left you alone so often." You rolled your eyes at Steven's words.

"You would know." You muttered.

"And I don't mean to pry," Steven continued, clearly oblivious to what you had said. "But you two haven't even kissed! Seems a bit odd to me." You frown at him, and open your mouth, ready to argue, when you feel a presence behind you.

"We don't like to shove PDA down people's throats." Tom's low voice echoed around your ears, and Steven visibly gulped. "I feel pretty secure in my relationship that we can save all that stuff for our own private residence." Tom looped his arm around your shoulder and nuzzled his nose below your ear. It tickled, but you bit your lip so you didn't laugh.

"Oh, right, well...oh, Susan! Yep, coming!" Steven ran off, nowhere near where Susan Tremlin was actually standing.

Once you were clear, you finally released your laugh and stepped out of Tom's hold.

"This is getting ridiculous." Tom said, his teeth clenched. "He definitely knows we are together, the slimy little runt."

"Hey," You put your hands on Tom's arms. "It's fine, it is working. Kind of. He's just suspicious because..."

"Because we're not shoving our tongues down each other's throat?"

"Well...yeah." You and Tom stare at each other for a breath. "We're not going to." His eyes widen.

"No! Of course not." He sighed, fiddling with his fingers.

"Sorry if this is making you uncomfortable." You said quietly, but Tom shook his head.

"This is what you brought me for Luka, I just didn't think he'd be so..."

"Relentless?" You offered.

"Exactly! God he comes over every five minutes! How do you get any work done in the week?" You shrugged, then had some of your drink. "Regardless, I'm having fun."

"How is this fun?"

"I dunno," he said, smiling. "It's like hide and seek. But he's just really good. Maybe we do need to up our game."

"Tom I'm really opposed to making out with you just to tell him to shove off."

"He's literally staring at us right now." You look over your shoulder, where Tom's eyeline was, and sure enough, Steven was staring at you both. And you realised you were both standing a good half foot apart from each other. You groaned and grabbed Tom's hand, dragging him across the room to the patio doors and onto the deck outside. It was decorated, fairy lights on the fence, balloons next to the chairs and candles on the tables.