14 - Lover

Astraea's heart was a labyrinth of confusion and longing, a place where love was an abstract concept, a distant dream she dared to hope for

Astraea's heart was a labyrinth of confusion and longing, a place where love was an abstract concept, a distant dream she dared to hope for. She envisioned a love where she was not just seen, but truly valued as an equal, where respect was not just given, but deeply felt. With Thor, she found this respect, his actions always underscored by a genuine affection that she had begun to cherish deeply. Perhaps, in this moment, amidst the turmoil of her thoughts, she was confronting the realization that she had indeed fallen in love with him.

"Astraea?" Thor's voice was gentle, his gaze fixed on her with an intensity that made her heart flutter. He was undeniably captivated by her, a fact that both thrilled and unnerved him. In all of Asgard, among all its radiant beings, none had ensnared his heart as she had.

"I'm sorry, dear. I'm just... lost in my thoughts tonight," Astraea replied, her voice tinged with a weariness that went beyond physical exhaustion.

"Is it still about your mother?" Thor asked, his concern evident, his eyes searching hers for a sign of what she needed.

Astraea inhaled sharply, the mention of her mother was like a knife to her still-raw wound. "I wish to not speak on that," she said, her tone firm yet her eyes betraying her pain.

Thor sighed, his broad shoulders slumping slightly. "Astraea, my dear, you must let this go. Have faith in my father. He will find who did this."

Her eyes locked onto his, a storm brewing within them. Patience, she told herself, but the word felt hollow. "Your father has dismissed this as if it were trivial, moving on with the wedding plans as if nothing has happened. He isn't going to do anything but sweep this under the rug. I will not stand for that. Goodnight, your grace."

With those words, Astraea turned, her steps echoing in the silent night, each one a heartbeat away from Thor. He watched her retreat, his expression one of shock and confusion, his voice barely a whisper as he spoke to the empty air, "What just happened?"

Astraea found herself at the threshold of the Mischief God's abode. With a trembling hand, she readied herself to knock, but an overwhelming sensation washed over her, causing her to hesitate. Perhaps this was a mistake, she thought, and she should flee to seek the counsel of the enigmatic Thanos, who would surely unravel this mystery.

Just as she was about to retreat, the door swung open, revealing no one. "Loki," she whispered, stepping into the room. Her eyes darted around the impeccably organized space. "I must speak with you."

A voice from the corner answered, "Little God, what brings you to my humble abode this time?"

Astraea turned to see Loki, his fingers holding a book as he sat with his back against the wall, legs stretched out in front of him. She struggled to find her words, her heart beating wildly in her chest.

"Now go on, princess, speak," Loki said, glancing up from his book. The intensity of his gaze made Astraea's breath catch, and suddenly, the air in the room felt charged.

She straightened her dress and pulled herself together, then calmly spoke again. "I have an idea. I know that you can make anyone see anything that you wish, so I would like for you to sneak into the main Guards' hall and see what they are saying."

Loki's eyes narrowed, and he closed his book, setting it aside. "And what would you have me do with this information, little goddess?"

Astraea took a deep breath, feeling the weight of her request. "I need to know if they have any leads on my mother's killer. I can't rest until I find out who took her from me."

Loki's expression softened, and he stood, walking over to her. He placed a hand on her shoulder, and she felt a surge of warmth and comfort. "I will do this for you, but you must promise me that you will not act recklessly with the information I bring back."

Astraea nodded, feeling the sincerity in his words. "I promise."

Loki's hand lingered on her shoulder for a moment longer, and their eyes locked. For a brief moment, it seemed as though they might kiss, but then he pulled away, breaking the tension.

"I will return soon," he said, and with a swirl of his cloak, he was gone.

Astraea let out a shaky breath and sat down on the edge of the bed, her heart racing. She had never felt this way around anyone before, and the thought of Loki risking himself to help her made her feel both grateful and scared.

What would she do if he found out who killed her mother? Would she be able to face them? And what would happen to her relationship with Loki once the truth was revealed?