Prologue

You still remember the moment you first met Armin. You needed a tutor for your Pre-calc class and your Professor recommended him to you. After conversing a bit on text you met up with him at the library. You expected the first encounter with him to be awkward but it was the complete opposite. He was warm and inviting and you felt comfortable around him.

That was only your first study session out of many more. But after only a few weeks the study sessions turned into just you and Armin hanging out at your dorm. He would come over and make you watch ocean documentaries. You found out he was a Biology major and wanted to be a Marine Biologist when he graduated.

Your relationship with Armin shifted from a friendly classmate to a more intimate platonic friendship. You loved being around him. After knowing him for only a few months you considered Armin one of your closest friends at Trost University. You were grateful to cross paths with Armin, especially in your first semester of college.

You were nervous about attending a university far from home, especially when you didn't know anyone from your high school who was planning on going to the same college. But with Armin being your first friend your nerves were eased. You were thrown into a state of happiness for the first time in a long time.

Armin would invite you to parties his friends attended. You met a few of them, Eren, Mikasa, and Jean. They were all friendly and inviting. You admired this about Armin. A person's friends tell you all you need to know about them, and through his two best friends Eren and Mikasa you knew Armin was as genuine as he could be.

You still remember the day he left. You two planned to hangout at your dorm and order pizza, just like most Fridays when you and Armin would hangout. You made a pallet on your floor with various blankets and pillows so you two could comfortably watch the TV. When he got there you both shared a large cheese pizza and started a movie Armin had been wanting you to watch. About 30 minutes into the movie Armin's phone went off.

"One second let me take this." He said as he answered the phone. You paused the movie and stayed quiet while he was talking to who you assumed was one of his parents. After his short phone call, a look of sadness clouded in his eyes. You gave him a confused look wondering what was wrong.

"I have to go back home." He said with a sigh of disappointment. Your heart dropped. The one friend you had made in college was leaving. "Why?" You asked. He shifted uncomfortably and avoided eye contact. You could tell something was wrong. "My grandfather is sick.. My mom says she doesn't think he's going to make it." He said looking down at the floor.

You felt sick to your stomach. You felt so bad for Armin. You reached your hand out and placed it on his shoulder. He didn't move. "I'm so sorry Armin." Was all you could say to him. He pulled you into a tight hug, and you allowed him to. His face buried itself in your shoulder, and you felt the wetness of his tears against your skin.

You rubbed soft circles on his back in an attempt to comfort him. He stayed in your arms for what felt like an eternity. You said your goodbyes before he left your dorm that night. The rest of the semester was pretty depressing. No more study dates, no more Armin. He did text you a lot but it just wasn't the same.

Armin's grandfather ended up passing away, and when Armin did finally come back to Trost it was time for finals. You barely got to see him, and then it was Christmas break. He still texted you but you missed his presence. It was now the start of the spring semester. You're back in Trost and so is Armin, and you'll see him for the first time in a few months tonight.