5.

Huey's pov

I quickly walked back over to my seat and scooped up my bookbag and quickly left the room, not wanting to get into a fit of rage. I couldn't believe I was going to let my hormones, get in the way of what I really want. I shivered at the thought of becoming an older version of Riley. I was already a late for my next class because I got wrapped up in the moment. I walked in and sat down, not without a stern and political lecture from my teacher, Mr. Dukes, an British man that moved out here to teach the fine students of America.

"Huey, I'm very disappointed in you, mate. You're Negro male in a society that thinks you're less than human and you decide to show up late to my class. I'm very unhappy and I'm sorry but I'll be writing a letter, get out your textbook and turn to page 693."

I sighed and took out my textbook. I guess Mr. Dukes had to make an example out of somebody today and it just had to be me even though I've never shown up late except for today. I could tell today was not going to be one of my bests.

"Psstt!" I hear from beside me. I turn my head and it's my neighbor, the mulatto. "You remember me, Huey?" I nodded my head. "I didn't know you goto to this school, I'd think you'd go to the majority black a few blocks from here." She said.

I raised my eyebrow "You do know that you're black, Jazmine?" I could see her roll her eyes as soon as she heard black roll from my tongue.

She ran her hands through her noticeably straight hair. "Do I have your nappy hair? No, I don't. Do I have the skin of a monkey? No, and I already told you, that it said I was white on my birth certificate. I am NOT a nigger." She quickly turned her head and went back to her work.

I was shocked, what kind of things were going on in her home. I decided not think to much on it if I wanted to get this work done.

Riley's POV

"Listen, man--." I got on my knees, with my hands up. I noticed Cindy wasn't doing anything thus far to plead my case. "I was walking to school and she approached me man."

The man laughed and pointed his rifle toward my chest. "Try again, nigger. You ran when you saw my fucking ford, that means you approached her and from what my boss tells me, you live on the other side of WoodCrest--" The man spit some Tobacco from his mouth and onto the ground. "so from my calculations, that means you're lying my friend and that means you're one dead nigger."

I hung my head, feeling defeated. That's when Cindy stepped up. "I did approach him and the only reason he ran is because I told him if he got caught by you, he'd be dead. I told him that out of love."

The man turned his head to Cindy and chuckled. "Are you serious? Out of fucking love? You're TWELVE?! Wait til your dad hears about this." He snapped his head back to me. "You better git, before I change my mind." I wasted no time in picking up my bookbag and ran away, I heard Cindy being forced inside the yellow ford, but I had no time to be concerned for her. I was already late, luckily my school wasn't as far as Huey's and I could make it in time.

A few minutes later...

I was halfway to school before I saw Mark, Lenny, and of course Ceasar. I stopped in my tracks. He stopped talking once he saw me. He turned his head towards me and said "Brother Riley, we meet again, by the looks of it you were almost hanged boy." He said, taking a look at my clothes that were currently covered in dirt. "I've been meaning to speak with you about what happened, I don't blame you, I only blame the white man. Like Malcolm X says, we're united as one."

I slowly nodded my head. "Well, look man, I have to get schoo--" He cut me off. "You mean the white mans educational system? No, my brother how about you take look at your skin tone, don't go to the white mans school, you need to think about going to the finest black school in Maryland."