1.

The Freeman's ford stopped in front of the big house in WoodCrest, their suitcases packed.

Huey was in the front seat, looking out the window towards the new house. Riley was in the back seat, jamming to the inside record player they had in the car.

Robert looked at Huey and Riley. "Get the suitcases, boys." He said as he stepped out of his car and walked towards their new home, with a smile on his face. "We've finally made it, all that saving money came to good use."

Huey scoffed, stepping out the car with his suitcase. "We've made it to the white mans land, where they don't want us." Huey replied.

Robert flicked his head towards Huey. "Aw shush up, Huey! We're in the North! That doesn't exist here."

Huey shook his head. "If you say so." Huey said, walking past Robert and heading inside the new home, it was already furnished to Robert's liking.

Riley stepped out of the car, with his suitcase and went inside with Robert and Huey.

Robert turned to Riley. "How do you like the new house boy?" He asked.

Riley looked around and nodded his head. "Certainly better than our old house, pa." Robert smiled.

"I knew it. This is the place that I can finally retire without the fire of the local gangs or mobsters. This will be our place, boys." He said.

"Well, I'll go see which room is fit for me, pa." Riley said and went upstairs, looking around. He saw that Huey was in the room he liked so he choose the one next to his. He placed down his suitcase and sat down on the bed. He was surprised at how comfy the bed was. "This bed feels like feathers." Riley said, standing back up.

Riley knew he was going to love this new house.

He left the room and went downstairs and went into the living room, he saw Robert sitting down in a chair. Riley approached him and said. "Pa, can I take a walk around the neighborhood?"

Robert thought over it for a moment. "Why not, boy? It'd do you some good to make new friends anyhow. Go ahead."

Riley nodded and headed out of the frontdoor, he walked around in the neighborhood. He could feels eyes watching him but he couldn't see where from. After walking for a few more minutes he heard a voice coming from behind him.

"Hey, boy!" A voice called out.

Riley switched around and looked to see who called him.

He saw a white girl all dolled up in a dress and her hair was styled in two pigtails.

She strutted over to him.

"You in the wrong neighborhood or something, boy?" She said.

Riley shook his head, looking at his feet. "Me, brother, and my pa just moved in down the road." He said.

She raised her eyebrow and shook her head. "So, they're just letting everybody move into this neighborhood, first the negro loving couple down the road and now your family. Before long this we'll be a negro talking that jive and smoking that dope." She said with pride.

Riley nodded and continued to look down at his feet. "Yes, ma'am." He said. He couldn't stand up a white girl, the North or South, white is white.

The girl looked him up and down. "Follow me, boy. And don't dally." She said and began walking.

Riley gulped and began following her. He hoped this didn't end with him being beat or even worse. He's heard stories of people being lynched in the south but he's never actually seen it happen to anyone.

He kept following the girl until she led him into the woods. He continued on and she stopped and turned around.

She began uncontrollably laughing. "Listen boy, don't be scared. I only had to keep up appearances. I have no prejudice against you people. I actually fancy you people if you don't mind me saying." She said.

Riley picked up his head and raised his eyebrow. "Fancy?" He said.

She nodded. "Yes, fancy." She raised her hand for him to shake. "My names Cindy McPhearson, daughter to the most respected man in WoodCrest, Benjamin McPhearson."

Riley hesitated for a moment before grabbing her hand and shaking it, she had a very soft hands. "Riley Freeman, grandson to Robert Freeman... We really don't have any reputation, ma'am." He replied.

Cindy chuckled. "Aw shucks, you do not have to be formal with me, I'm only in my teens. Listen, Riley Freeman, you seem like you're groovy and I'm groovy too. So, you're going to be my new friend, kay?"

Riley nodded, not saying a thing back.

Cindy smiled and kissed him on the cheek. "That's nice. Now come on!" She said, taking his hand and tugging him along.

--
This is a preview of this story :) Give me some feedback on how you like this book.