"Tell me more," Hayley prompted.

"Even centuries before I was born, it was used to pass down abilities. Honestly, by the time I was born, wolves already had a lot of the same abilities. I think the only difference I have from currently existing wolves is my venom. I'm pretty sure it's more lethal. Aside from that, I don't know, because I haven't gotten to understand my wolf form fully, and I wouldn't know what I have that others don't. The Poldarks didn't want to participate in those things. Even in my time, the Crescents and North East Atlantics did it mostly for power, and it caused a lot of problems between them. We just attended the ceremonies when they happened. Ansel recently told me that Klaus and I might've been married with a ritual like this. I don't know what would have happened with that, but it was mostly about uniting the Packs."

"This thing is one hundred percent real?" she asked. "You swear it?"

"I saw it happen, Hayley. The other Alphas had children way older than Klaus and I, so I got to see some of them get married to each other. You feel this... this warmth when they do the 'kiss the bride' part and your inner wolf gets a new ability. I didn't know at the time that the warmth indicated I was a wolf, I just thought I was happy to see a wedding."

Hayley slapped the book shut before going to where Jackson was. "Jack!"

The wolf came back not long after, looking confused. "This is the solution," said Hayley, holding up the journal. "The Unification Ceremony or Ritual or whatever the official name is. I have a unique ability. Because I'm a hybrid, I can control when I change! So, if this mystical marriage thing works, then— then our people get my power, and they can ditch the rings! Which means Esther no longer has a hold over them. Jack, this is exactly the answer that we've been looking for. Let's find a shaman, we'll say some vows. Hell, we'll make it a party!"

"It ain't just a party," said Jackson, not looking very happy. "If the vows ain't honored, it doesn't work. It's gotta be a real marriage, in every way, for the rest of our lives. Are you up for that?"

Esmeray gulped when Hayley didn't answer. "Didn't think so," Jackson muttered, going back the way he came.

The werewitch decided to follow him. "Jackson," she said, seeing he'd gone back to chopping some wood with his axe. "Talk to me. What's bothering you?"

"She still feels something for Elijah, doesn't she?" he muttered, bringing the axe down. "She'll never stop feeling that. I can't do that to her. I can't give her hope that this will work if the marriage is too much for her to handle."

"She feels something for Elijah, yeah, I'm pretty sure she does. But she feels something for you, too. If she's suggesting this, it's because she wants to go through with it. You're a good man and she knows that, and she wants you to be her husband to help the Pack and because she cares for you. You two were supposed to be married, and she's following through with it."

Jackson shrugged. "I don't think it's a good idea. Just... please come to the meeting tonight. Let the wolves hear that you can make the same rings without a price. They know you, and they trust you a hell of a lot more than they trust Esther. If they want to complain that her magic is stronger, they don't get to, because your magic is pretty damn strong."

She was prepared to channel her inner speech and debate student to prove her point. But it turned out, she didn't have to.

"I know you're angry and scared," Jackson was saying as he stood on the sacristy of the St. Anne's Church. "But we are a pack, no matter what. I want you to hear me out."

"You've been checked out for months," one of the wolves asked. "Why should we listen to you?"

Aiden got to his feet from a few rows ahead. "Because he's the Alpha! You got a problem with that?"