"After Francesca Guerrera took over the wolves," Jackson started, "she offered me a moonlight ring as long as I'd call her Alpha. I declined. So, a couple of her brothers dragged me out here and left me for dead. By the time I healed up, word had spread about what happened to you," he said directly to Hayley, "and to your baby."

Hayley looked down, but to Esmeray's surprise, Ansel didn't look at her as if he pitied her for Hope's 'death.' In fact, his gaze gave the impression that he knew something they didn't.

"So," Jackson continued, "I knew it was over, and I just drifted. And that's when I met Ansel. See, he's been teaching me the old ways, the traditions. What it means to be a wolf. If I knew that he'd actually been there when it was all done..."

"We're here to ask for your help," Esmeray told him honestly. "We're concerned for the other wolves that did pledge allegiance to the witches. Hayley reckons they need an Alpha, and I agree. Oliver's being held captive."

"Yeah, I heard about that," Jackson muttered. "The thing is, Ollie betrayed me. He plotted with the Guerreras. He spilled his own people's blood."

Hayley sighed. "He was trying to make up for that, Jack."

Jackson had a far-away look in his eyes. "I would think that after so many months of Esmeray helping us here in the Bayou before you came along, he would have been more inclined to listen to both her and you. He's the one that turned the wolves against Esmeray when all she ever did was help us. He killed Eve when Esmeray had healed her. It doesn't matter to me anymore. Witches have him— he's dead. Not that I care."

Hayley stood up angrily. "You don't want to be the Alpha? Fine. Esmeray and I will save him ourselves." She glanced back as Ansel got up, too.

"I have no love of vampires," said Ansel earnestly, "but I will not allow a wolf to be killed by witches. I'm coming with you."

"At least someone is interested," said Hayley as Esmeray led the way back out of the Bayou.

Hayley got to calling Marcel as soon as they were out of earshot of Jackson.

"Tell me you have your Alpha," Marcel answered.

"He's out of commission, but I got the next best thing. I'm assuming you have a plan to keep Finn occupied?"

"Yeah... yeah, I think I might have an idea." He then hung up, and Ansel let out a slight huff.

"I don't want to overwhelm you with questions," said Esmeray, wringing her hands together. "But I want to—"

"I have a feeling that I know exactly what you're curious about," Ansel said. "How your Pack was killed. I was watching over them when it happened. Horde of vampires, a few years after you were put to sleep. No idea who they were, but they were hungry, and the full moon had just passed. Slaughtered everyone there. They didn't know about you, otherwise, they would have gone for you as well. Your parents fought until the end, and they died quickly."

Esmeray had forgotten how straightforward Ansel could be. She swallowed back the lump in her throat and nodded as he continued, "Your father, I saw him from time to time. His spirit had a tough time staying put. Your mother wasn't on the Other Side for very long— she went to peace faster than he did. He found his own peace long before the Other Side collapsed, and he's with her now. I don't know if either of them know that you're back. They might."

"Did you ever see a wolf named Anya?" asked Esmeray worriedly.

He shook his head. "She must have gone straight to peace. Those with pure hearts, those who have suffered but who have never used that as an excuse to harm others, even as supernaturals, go to peace right away."