Arthur tensed and tried to muster a position ready for battle, but the spell already had a firm hold on him. His outstretched arm trembled under the weight of his own sword. 

"Mor- Morgana, get behind me!" he stuttered. 

Morgana didn't move. She locked eyes with her sister. "I've made a mistake," she communicated with her mind. "Emrys didn't poison me. Things changed too much." Morgause's eyes twitched slightly in surprise. 

"Morgana!" Arthur tried again.

This time she shrank back behind the prince, realizing it would be best to remain undetected as his adversary. 

Morgause smiled. "Prince Arthur, we meet again. I regret that it is under more... strenuous circumstances."

"The circumstance is just as strenuous, your intent just as malicious!"

"Oh, but you're wrong," she said, feigning offense. I simply allowed you to speak with your mother again. I had no control over what she told you."

"She fed me lies! My father would never hurt my mother, he would never turn to magic!!"

She smiled wickedly. "Whatever you choose to believe."

"I'm warning you, Morgause. Stay back!" He held the quivering sword aloft. 

She laughed at his vain attempts to defend Morgana, his servant, and his father. "How much longer do you really think you can hold out. A minute perhaps? Maybe two?"

"For as long as... it takes..." 

She approached him with mocking pity, but stopped when she reached the sleeping form of Merlin. She kelt down next to him. 

"Stay away from him!"

"I don't think you're in any position to make demands. I will do what I wish." She pulled Merlin's limp form up by his neckerchief, amused by his helplessness.

"Leave him alone!!" Arthur yelled. He flung himself with all his strength at the sorceress. She simply waved her hand, eyes ablaze, sending him careening back into the wall. He cried out in pain and fell to his hands and knees. Morgana shuffled backward as to avoid any collision. Morgause stalked toward the wounded prince, crouching down next to him and holding his chin up with her hands. She smiled as he struggled weakly. 

"There's no use, Arthur."

The princes eyes drifted close as his entire body became limp. Morgause let go of his chin, letting him fall to the ground next to Merlin. As soon as he was asleep, Morgana ran to her sister. 

"Something went wrong! I did something wrong! He didn't poison me! Things are changing! What am I supposed to do now?!"

"Calm down, Morgana! Panicking won't do us any good!"

"Why can't anything go right! Why, after everything, am I still failing time and time again!!??"

"MORGANA!!" 

The yell quieted her. 

"We should not see this as a failure. The greatest aspect of strength is the ability to adapt to changing circumstances. Our initial plan did not turn out as expected... it just means we have to try something new."

"But if he never poisons me, then..." Morgana didn't finish her sentence. In truth, she didn't know how she felt about taking her revenge on the Merlin of this time. This Merlin had been nothing but kind to her and had even revealed his secret with the intention of helping her. It was with this revelation that she realized how close the boy must have been to telling her the first time, how even the smallest of changes affected his decision. Torturing or even killing him wouldn't feel right, it wouldn't feel as sweet. In her wildest dreams, she imagined the pain and regret that would shine through his eyes in his final moments. But there was nothing for this Merlin to be sorry for, no grudge to settle, no vendetta to make even. She didn't say this, considering it a weak thought. Merlin was destined to be her doom. One way or another, he would give her a reason to hold a grudge. The logical thing to do would be to take care of him before he could give her a reason to hate him, rip the maple seed from the ground before it could sprout any roots.