001. The Little Wildflower.

Start from the beginning

He hastily held onto the end of her sword, catching her off guard then he pulled it closer against his throat. "Lady..." He gasped. "Can you please end my suffering?" He was sobbing as he begged for his death.

The lady frowned at him. She was unsure of the child's circumstances or the reason why he was choosing death when he was still too young to die. Instead of pulling her sword out of his hand, she just stared at him, watching him cry while his hands bleed on the ends of her sword. She thought that maybe the child needed a little more pain for him to wake up.

"Over here!"

The two of them turned their heads to the right when loud footsteps came closer to them. The dimly-litted place was slowly being lit by the lamps that the men were carrying. She was about to shove his hands away from her sword and prepared herself to attack them, but an arrow was fired towards her, piercing her head.

The child froze as he watched the lady fell on the ground, her eye patch falling along with her as the string wrapped around her head was cut in half by the arrow. Her eyes remained open while her head bled out because of the deep wound she received. The child's eyes widen when he saw her left eye that was covered earlier. It was an odd black eye.

"Seize him!" The Commander ordered.

The child was soon surrounded by the armed men, each pointing their swords at him. On the brink of his death, the child was still wondering about the weird eye of the lady. The men might have forgotten about her already because of their real target. And that ended their career.

"Prince Angelico. The last royal child of the royal family of Gothenbury. You're still a child, but due to the orders of your new ruler, you are to be executed in this place." The Commander's little speech brought him back to his senses.

With a terrified face, he looked up to him. His bleeding hands hugging himself. The child was shaking as he tries to move away from the ends of their swords. He didn't want to die yet, but how could he survive when his enemies have already caught up to him.

"Make a wish, child." His head turned to the corpse of the lady when he heard her voice in his head. "What is it that you want the most?"

His heart pounded roughly against his chest. The voice of the commander wasn't reaching him as the child listens to the lady's voice. His eyes were becoming blurry because of the tears threatening on the brim of his eyes. He looked down on his bloodied hands and he cried.

"I don't want to die like this! I want to take revenge from those who have hurt me! I want to live!"

The men and the Commander watched him as he cried. They were frowning at him, some were taking pity because of his childish cries. But they have to follow their orders more than their principle.

The Commander gave them the signal to kill the kid, but they were taken aback when they heard a hysterical voice laughing. Their heads were ringing as the laugh grew louder.

"Very well then. I heard your prayers, kid."

The child's eyes never blinked, witnessing what happened next. In a snap, the armed men surrounding him died. Thick black threads came out of the lady's body and pierced the men right through their chest, killing them instantly. The Commander was shaking on his feet at the gruesome scene he had witnessed. With the help of her black threads, the lady pulled herself up.

A menacing smile plastered on her face, making her a lot creepier along with the blood dripping on her face. The red pupil of her odd eye glowed then her black threads wrapped around the Commander's limbs, restricting his movements.

"Now, now. What should we do with this egghead?" She asked as she slowly approached him.

The light on the child's eyes gone as he stared at the Commander shaking in front of him. With his small, wounded hands, the child picked up a sword. It was heavier than him, but he was able to hold it using both of his hands. The lady watched him in anticipation as he pointed the tip of the sword towards him. Her black thread covered the Commander's mouth before he could speak and talk him out of his choice.

The lady stood behind the kid. She covered his blank eyes with her palm while her other hand pushed his hands down, putting the sword down as well. The lady's wicked smile grew wider as she stares intently at the Commander's eyes, his pupils shaking profusely out of fear.

"Kids shouldn't witness this gruesome thing," she whispered as her black threads thrusts against the Commander's chest, piercing his heart out.

His muffled scream vibrated across her black threads, giving her a soft tickle. The child's body quivered for a second then he fell on the ground. The lady's black threads were absorbed back inside of her. She looked down at the unconscious child, staring curiously at him with her odd pair of eyes.

"Corvus," she called and a black magical circle appeared beside her. A flock of ravens came out from the magical circle and they cleaned the area with her command.

The lady carried the child on with her black threads as she went to find her black carriage.

▬▬▬

The sun was already up when the child woke up. His small body was stinging from the mental pain and wounds he received last night. His mind was still in a daze as he stares blankly on the moving ceiling.

"Oh-" His eyes widen and he quickly sat up when he remembered everything that happened to him.

And he was an idiot for pushing himself this early. "Ow... My back..." He grunted as he tried to lie back down. He could now feel every part of his body throbbing in pain.

"Good morning, little wildflower. How's your sleep?" The familiar voice of a lady caught his attention.

The child tried to turn his head, searching where the voice was coming. "Hey-" The lady greeted, showing her half covered face in front of him. The child was surprised that he screamed and fell from the bunk bed where he was resting, his face hitting the rough wooden floor.

The lady chuckled at his reaction, and the child could only frown when he felt the stinging heat coming from the wounds all over his body.

"Anyway, where are you planning to go now?" The lady asked as she sat on the edge of the bed. She leaned her upper body a little closer to him and extended her hand to help him.

The child stared at her hand as he thinks of any place he can go. And he sighed as he grabbed the lady's hand. There was a rush of pain from his hand as he unconsciously applied pressure on it. He whined as he pulled his hand back, pouting as he stared down at his now bleeding hands.

Anyway, there was no other place for him to go. "I have nowhere else to go, and I don't want to die yet," he said softly, his pair of silver eyes filled with determination as he stared at her.

Aside from the weird connection she could feel between them, the lady was also taking pity on this child. Seeing his pursuers last night was making her consider in helping him. But at what cost?

"I'll kick you out if you become useless, little wildflower." She ruffled his hair, making him pout. Then she stood up. "By the way, you can refer to me as Lily." She winked at him then she returned to the small kitchen of her black carriage, leaving the child pouting even more as he climbed back on the bunk bed.