Chapter 23

Sang's P.O.V.

           I hardly slept last night, the kiss between me and North replaying in my head along with the implications.

        He has been the one person that has truly understood me throughout all of this. Jay, Rocky, and Jade all lost Eli. Brooke lost Matt.

        But it's different with North. He understands the darkest parts of the way I'm grieving and he doesn't make me feel bad for it.

      And I'm pretty sure that's all thrown out the window now. I don't think either of us can look at each other the same. Not because we have feelings for each other, but because we feel guilty.

         At least I know that's what I feel. North was impossible to read last night and honestly, I was more focused on getting the hell out.

         My phone rings, breaking me out of my thoughts. I realize it's the same Florida number that called yesterday morning, but this time I decide to answer.

         "Hello?," I answer, my voice coming out hoarse.

           "Good morning ma'am, I'm calling from the Pelican Grand Beach Resort to confirm your stay with us tonight."

           "Yeah, I think you have the wrong person. I didn't book a room there," I say.

        "Yeah, I see here that your husband booked it," she says. "But I haven't been able to get in touch with him."

       I almost laugh. I'm about to tell her that I won't be coming, but then I realize it's a great idea. It's already paid for and I can get a couple days to clear my head. "Yeah, I'll be there," I say.

       "Perfect," she says. "We'll see you soon then."

      "Great, thanks," I say before hanging up.

I get up and brush my teeth before throwing a bunch of stuff into a suitcase. I just want to get on the road.

Once I leave home, I stop for coffee and gas. When I get back into my car, I decide to turn off my phone. A couple of days at a resort with absolutely no interruptions sounds perfect.

And then I'm on the road with the window down and the radio blaring.

      The farther I get from Charleston, the more I realize that maybe this is what I really need. To get away once and for all.

       Most of my memories from Charleston are connected to Eli. It just doesn't feel like the same city without him.

A couple more stops and a little over six hours later and I've arrived. I'm a little early, but I hope that I can at least find something to do in the mean time.

I walk in and head straight to the front desk.

"Welcome to the Pelican Grand Beach Resort. Do you have a reservation?," he asks.

"I do, under Matthews," I nod.

He types on his computer for a second. "Alright, your room isn't quite ready yet, but you're more than welcome to try out our pool, the spa, and we even have a gift shop," he tells me. "Would you like me to have somebody bring up your luggage?"

"Please."

        When everything is squared away, I decide to just go sit by the pool until the room is ready. It's packed with families and couples but I'm able to find a spot with a couple of lounge chairs.

       Maybe I should have brought a book or something, because it is a little weird being out here with nothing to do.

       I just close my eyes and try my best not to think about this whole North situation.