22 ~ AN ADVENTUROUS AFTERNOON

Börja om från början

"I know he swears a lot but what do you mean by you can't handle it anymore?" I ask softly, if she means what I think she means, Ben is going to be devastated.

"Every time he swears, the memories of my father come rushing back." She speaks so quietly that we almost don't hear her.

"He used to verbally abuse both me and my mother. It took my mom a long time to gather herself up and leave, and we're in a good place now. I have an amazing stepfather who loves me a lot. I don't have any kind of issues because of the love my stepfather gave me and don't get me wrong, I swear too but there's a limit. But memories come rushing back because of Ben's constant profanities. I was okay at first, but it's disturbing me a lot now.

"I've asked him to stop his constant swearing and he controls himself for a day or two but then things just go back like they were on day three. It's getting hard for me to stay around Ben and not let the memories affect me or our relationship but I don't think I can handle it anymore." She finishes, and a single tear rolls down her cheek.

My heart hurts for her and we all stay quiet for a few seconds, digesting the information she has just dumped on us, but it's Roman who breaks the silence.

"Have you tried talking to him?" Roman asks softly, concern evident in his eyes.

"No, I mean I told him that I hate his constant profanities but I never told him the reason though." She replies, regret shining in her eyes.

"You know, you need to talk to him about this if you want this to work, Claudia." I touch her hand gently over the table.

"The whole male species suck," Amelia whispers lost in her own thoughts.

Roman looks at her with fake accusing eyes, "You don't even have a man, why are you cursing the male species?"

"Just because I don't have a boyfriend, doesn't mean I don't have a crush." Amelia rolls her eyes and I snicker.

"Why Amelia, who's your crush I wonder," I speak as I decide to ruffle Amelia's feathers a bit to lighten everyone's mood.

"Who's your crush?" Roman asks her, then looks at me, and then Lily and Claudia. Lily barks out a laugh which Roman misinterprets and comically widens his eyes.

"Don't tell me, it's me."

Amelia raises her head and puts her finger in her mouth, mocking a silent gag making all of us laugh out loud except Roman.

"You wish. Don't get me wrong, if I weren't crushing on someone already, I would've definitely tried it on you." She speaks, making Roman raise his eyebrows.

She merely shrugs, "You're too hot to resist, but your hotness does nothing for me."

"So who is this crush?" Roman leans forward and asks.

"You don't wanna know," Lily mutters from his left side.

"Come on, tell me. Maybe I'll set you up with him." Roman coaxes her and Amelia's eyes to lighten up at his last words.

"Garret. "

His eyebrows shoot up as he leans back and asks in shock, "Garret?"

"Yes Garret, why are you so shocked?" She narrows her eyes at him.

"He just doesn't seem to be your type. I've known you for the last four years even though only from afar and you don't go for that type." Roman speaks cautiously to not offend her in any way.

"Dude, he's got this whole mysterious bad boy persona going for him and I can't help but feel a bit more attracted to him every day I see him." Amelia frowns but honestly admits her feelings and I can't help but feel a bit pathetic because I can't admit my attraction towards Roman even to myself.