~ Chapter 20 ~

Feyre walked into the dining room at the House of Wind, hand in hand with Rhysand, herself stalling when she saw Mor, Azriel, Amren and Cassian seated and waiting.

Then as one, they all stood, bowed and placed a hand over their hearts.

"We will serve and protect." Amren voiced.

"Thank you. But I'd prefer if you were my friends before serving and protecting." Feyre said. She looked around at her family smiling at them. Rhysand and she had been frantic over the last two weeks but had finally curbed the instincts a little to return to Velaris.

They all settled at the dining table and Feyre looked around the room with a frown.

"Where's Zhysa?" Silence followed before Mor broke it. She brought the red wine glass down from her lips and placed it on the table.

"In the human lands. She had been there for a while now, almost the entire time that you were gone. She helped Rhys recover for a day and then told Cassian abruptly she would be staying with the Archeron's until the queens returned." Mor finished. Feyre tensed her hand and Rhys looked at her in concern. Feyre turned to Cassian and Azriel.

"I've noticed it for a while now, but something is bothering her. I have no idea of what but I... I have never felt more disconnected from her than now. It's a strange feeling. Do you all have any idea what it is?" Feyre's hand incoherently moved towards the glamoured earring, briefly touching it before moving away. Rhys saw the movement and his eyes narrowed.

Azriel shifted uncomfortably and his gaze focused on the view from outside the dining room.

"I think she feels that she doesn't have a place here in this court." Azriel's voice was deep and contemplating and Feyre whipped her head around to the male sitting next to Rhysand.

"W-what do you mean? Of course, she does!" Feyre exclaimed. Azriel just hummed and continued.

"Feyre. I think... perhaps the reason that she left was that you discovered Rhysand was your mate and she led herself to believe once you found him, you wouldn't need her anymore. She told me on Starfall that she believed herself unimportant." Feyre heart stuttered and she sniffled as a low burning started in her chest.

"She's an idiot. I would never abandon her." Rhysand placed a comforting hand on Feyre's thigh, squeezing in reassurance. "Azriel, why didn't you tell us or even give a hint of how she was feeling?" Cassian questioned.

Azriel looked over at him and sighed. "They weren't my feelings. They are hers. I had no right to tell them to others if she didn't want me to, besides it's not like she is wrong. She is only an emissary from the Day Court, who also happens to be Feyre's friend." Silence impeached them, Mor finally making a stand. An uncomfortable feeling swirled in their guts before Mor interrupted.

"That's enough. We can always talk to her about it after the meeting with the queens. Which may I remind you is happening very soon." They all stood and made their way to the door, ready for the journey to the human's lands once again.

***

Zhysa barely reacted as the legion of fae and Illyrian alike fell down into the bright scenery, spring finally starting to overtake the winter cold. She had been discussing the next meeting with Nesta when Feyre ran over, taking over most of her vision.

Zhysa lurched back. "Woah! Calm down Feyre, what's got you in such a hurry?" Feyre, dressed in finery only the Night Court could provide while Zhysa herself was dressed in the same attire as the last meeting, grabbed both of the taller faeries hands and pulled.

"I have to talk you after." Zhysa tilted her head. What could be so urgent?

"Sure... you could have just told me after the meeting you know?" Feyre just hummed agreement, letting go of Zhysa's hands as Rhysand eyed them from where she was standing. Zhysa gestured for her to stand next to Rhysand, but as Feyre moved she looked at the elder with a glint of emotion Zhysa couldn't recognise.