"The man who called me, Detective Inspector Lestrade, was so nice about the whole thing. I start in two weeks and he said that after a year or so I could work my way up to Detective Inspector," Anita explained, cheerfully. Sergeant was just a transitional place, Anita wouldn't stop until she was a Detective Inspector. Sherlock hummed at her, encouraging her to continue.

"I'm just glad that I got the job, even if it's not where I want to be," she continued, shrugging her shoulders gingerly as she glanced up at Sherlock. Anita looked back down at her food, a small smile on her face. Her dad would have loved this.

Anita couldn't help but reflect on sixteen years of friendship and love as her, John, and Mary were taken to the Airfield. Mycroft told Anita and the Watsons that Sherlock was being sent away as 'punishment.' Anita called them up and screamed about stupid they were being for about a half hour before they transferred her to Mycroft, who told her to calm down. Which he regretted after the hour long rant he got. The car drove along the runway towards where an executive jet was stationary on the tarmac.

As the car pulled up, Anita saw Sherlock, Mycroft, and a security man watching the car. John, Mary, and Anita got out of the car and started to walk towards them.

"You will look after them for me, won't you?" Sherlock asked Mary as she approached him.

"Oh, don't worry. I'll keep them in trouble," Mary replied as she kissed his cheek and hugged him.

"That's my girl," he said, smiling.

John and Anita stopped in front of him as Mary turned and walked back to the two of them, taking John's hand. Sherlock looked over at Anita and John before turning to his brother.

"Since this is likely to be the last conversation I'll have with John Watson and Anita O'Malley...would you mind if I took a moment with them, separately?" Sherlock asked Mycroft. Mycroft looked a little startled, but glanced at the security guard and jerked his head towards the side of the plane.

"I'd like to speak to John first," Sherlock said and Anita nodded.

Anita, Mary, Mycroft, and the security man walked off to the side as they left the boys to have their moment. Anita and Mary walked over to the car while Mycroft and the security man walked towards the wing of the jet. As the two women watched their boys talk, Mary glanced over Anita.

"You really love him, don't you?" she asked and Anita bit her lip thoughtfully, smiling slightly.

"More than you or I could ever imagine. He's been there for everything. When I lost my dad, when I got my job at Scotland Yard, when I got my first flat. I have loved him for 16 years, and I don't think I'm going to stop anytime soon," Anita replied and Mary smiled at her, knowing Anita was being completely honest. Anita glanced over at Mary, noting her pregnant belly. They needed to lighten the mood a bit.

"You know, 'Anita' is a lovely name," Anita said, shrugging slightly. Mary narrowed her eyes at Anita, who smirked.

"We're not naming the baby 'Anita'."

"Come on! I'm not even asking for the first name, I was thinking maybe the middle name," Anita joked. Mary elbowed Anita's side as they both chuckled softly. 

"No," Mary insisted. Anita chucked gently to herself, watching as John walked towards them. John smiled sadly at Anita, nodding his head over at where Sherlock was standing.

"Your turn," he said and Anita sighed softly before walking towards Sherlock.

Anita twisted the engagement ring around on her finger, a new nervous habit she picked up. She wasn't nervous to talk to him, no, she was nervous to say goodbye. She could barely say it to his grave, let alone to his face. Eventually, Anita was standing in front of him, staring into his eyes as hers filled with tears.

"Hey," she whispered, knowing if she talked any louder her voice would crack. Sherlock stared at her sadly.

"Hello, love." Anita smiled at the pet name, trying to keep it forever in her mind so she didn't forget the way he sounded. The two of them stood, staring at each other before Anita took a deep breath.

"What am I even supposed to say in this situation, Sherlock. I- I just-"

Sherlock quickly rushed forward and cupped Anita's face, leaning down and kissing her. Anita instantly responded, wrapping her arms around his neck and burrowing her hand in his curls. Sherlock moved one of his hands from her face down to her waist, pulling her closer to him. They both felt the tears dripping down both of their faces, but we're choosing to ignore them. Anita pulled back, Sherlock brought a hand up wiped her tears away.

"I think I might be a little late to our wedding," Sherlock said and Anita chuckled sadly, biting her lip to keep from crying more.

"Yeah, maybe," Anita replied, offering him a smile. He smiled back, rubbing his hand on her back.

"Anita, I never thought I would fall in love with anyone. I met you, and everything changed. For the better, always for the better. I'm sorry I won't have the chance to see Anita Holmes in writing," Sherlock said and Anita felt a new wave of tears flood her.

"I would have been proud to be your wife," Anita whispered to him, allowing a few tears to slip out. Sherlock stared at her before chuckling softly.

"And I would have been just as proud to be your husband," he whispered back, leaning down to give her a soft kiss. Anita pulled back as he straightened up, staring into her eyes. Anita stood up on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek, closing her eyes to cherish what he felt like before it was ripped away from her. Sherlock placed a long lingering kiss on her forehead before he started to walk away from her.

"I love you," Anita told him as he walked backwards, trying to look at her as long as he could. Sherlock smiled, nodding his head gently.

"I love you more," he replied and any other day, Anita would have argued with him over it, but today, this last final day she let him have it. Sherlock walked backwards a few more paces, trying to burn Anita into his mind, before turning around and climbing into the jet. Anita started to sob as she watched him get in, the door shutting behind him.

Anita stood, staring at the plane as she felt Mycroft walk up to her, standing at her side. They stood next to each other for a moment, neither of them saying anything until Mycroft reached a hand over and rubbed Anita's shoulder. She turned to him, tears still running down her face. Mycroft swallowed, offering her the smallest of smiles.

"I never told you, but nothing would have given me more joy than to call you my sister- in- law."

"Mycroft-"

"Don't speak a word of this to anyone. Can't have them knowing I've gone...mushy."

"I- thank you," Anita said, smiling sadly at him. He nodded before walking away, off to deal with something important, Anita was sure.

The Watson's walked up on either side of Anita, placing their arms around her as the jet ran down the runway and flew off, taking Anita's fiancé with it. Anita reached a hand up and started to wipe at her tears, trying to get them to stop.

"That simply isn't possible," Anita heard Mycroft say, the Watson's and Anita turning to face him.

"What happened?" Anita asked, sniffing softly.

"He's back," Mycroft replied, looking between the three of them.

"Who's back?" Mary asked.

"Moriarty," Mycroft said as he pushed a button on his phone and placed it to his ear, climbing back into the car.

"But he's dead. I mean, you two told me he was dead," Mary said, frantically.

"Absolutely. He blew his own brains out," John replied.

"So how can he be back?" Mary questioned.

"Well, if he is...he'd better wrap up warm," Anita commented as she and John looked off to the right and saw the jet turning around. 

"There's an East Wind coming," John finished as Mary followed their gaze. Anita smiled happily as the plane landed. Oh, today was going to be a marvelous day.

author's note !