Klaus x Reader one shot

"Follow me, my flower," Klaus says, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of the large room we've been crammed in with all the important people we're supposed to be talking to. I sigh in relief and hold up the bottom of my sky blue, sparkly ball gown so I don't trip as we sprint through the halls.

"Hold on!" I say. He stops running and I kick off my awful high heels. "Ok, all better now!" I laugh.

Klaus smirks and we take off running again. We race up the stairs of his parent's mansion and slip into his bedroom. I flop down on his bed and he curls up next to me, pulling a book off of his bedside table.

"Whatcha reading?" I ask, laying my head down on his lap.

"A book," He answers vaguely.

I giggle, "Well, obviously it's a book. I mean, what's the book about?"

Klaus smiles and looks down at me. He lightly grazes his fingertips across my face, making my cheeks heat up.

"Well," He begins, stroking my hair and getting a far off look in his eye as he stares out the window. "It's about a gorgeous princess and her name is (Y/N). She and her lover run far away from the strict schedules and no fun of the castle they're trapped in."

I smile, "Who's her lover?"

Klaus smiles back and says, "A quiet but delightful bookworm named Klaus."

"Well, that's sounds like a story I would love to be in," I say. 

He strokes my hair again and looks down at me. "Hi," I giggle.

"Hello there, my flower." He sighs sadly.

I sit up and cup his face. "What's wrong, Klaus?"

He tries to smile again, but it doesn't work. He lightly grips my wrists and rests his forehead on mine.

"I miss you already," He whispers.

"I miss you too," I whisper back.

He pulls me onto his lap and we embrace each other for a while. I bury my face in the crook of his neck and he gently twirls my hair on his finger.

"Let's get out of this place," I say.

He nods and gives me another sad smile. I peck his lips and his eyes brighten a bit. I giggle and pull him off the bed, dragging us both to the window. "Is the ladder still there?" I ask.

"I think so," Klaus says.

I slide the window open and look down into the darkness. "Hmm, I can't see too well but I'm pretty sure it's there," I say.

He reaches his hand out the window. "Yeah, it' is," He confirms.

"M'kay," I reply.

Klaus slides out the window and climbs down three stories on the ladder. He makes it to the ground and calls for me to follow him. I scramble out the window myself, carefully trying not to fall off the rickety steps. I make it to the last few feet of rusty, damp metal and my bare foot slips. I shriek and fall, expecting to meet the cold ground, but instead land in someone's arms.

I slightly peek open my eyes and come face to face with a laughing Klaus. I wrap my arms around his neck and bury my face in his shoulder.

"I got you, sweetheart," He whispers, gently lowering my feet to the ground.

I'm standing up now, but I'm still clinging to him. He laughs again and rubs my back. I relax a little bit and let out a half-giggle, half-sob. I'm about to kiss him when a familiar and dreaded alarm starts to ring.

"No..." I whisper, holding him tighter.

"I'm sorry, honey," He says, tenderly kissing the top of my head.

"No, please don't leave again!" I beg, tears streaming down my face.

"I have to go, I have school today," Klaus says.

I cry harder but manage to choke out, "I love you."

He lifts my chin and I see that he's been crying too. "I love you more," He whispers.

"Wait!" I exclaim, suddenly remembering something important. I unclip the golden locket from my neck and place it in his hands.

"Y-your necklace?" He says.

"Keep it so you don't forget me," I whisper.

"I could never forget you," Klaus replies.

I hook my arms around his neck and kiss him deeply. He kisses me back, squeezing me tightly one last time before disappearing into his world.

His real world.

The world that I'll never be a part of.

Sometimes it sucks being a comfort character...