14 - Over Hill

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Kili! Grab my hand! Ki—"

"Fili!" I pulled Fili back to keep him from falling.

In a flash, the ground had split completely. Part of the company stood on one side of the ravine, and part on the other. Indeed, all fifteen of us were standing on the kneecaps of yet another giant. We could do nothing but hold on and pray.

As our giant stood up, another approached and slammed its head into our giant.

We clung to the giant's leg for dear life. I still had Bilbo pinned protectively with my body, one arm on the rocks behind me, and one arm keeping Dwalin away from the edge. I could vaguely make out the string of foul curses flying from his lips.

The giant slammed into the mountain, violently jarring us. During the giant's recovery, the other half of the company made it onto a—stable—rock ledge. However, they couldn't do anything but watch the rest of us get viciously tossed about.

The two giants fought with their fists. We ducked as a giant's fist made contact with the rock scant meters above our heads, showing us with a fresh wave of jagged shards. Eventually, our giant won the scuffle, and it knocked the other down into the valley.

Immediately after its victory, its head got knocked off by a boulder.

Our giant now staggered backwards, knees going forward as its body tumbled. We held onto each other and braced for impact. We headed straight for the mountainside at a terrible speed.

At the last second, we hit a narrow ledge, and all at once, jumped off.

I had been completely pinned underneath Fili and Dwalin, but it was still so much better than getting killed or falling to my death. I just struggled to breathe a little. When I spotted Thorin somehow clambering over to us, I announced, "We're alright. We made it!"

Thorin's heart leapt at the sight of everyone slowly sitting up, seemingly uninjured.

"They're alive!" Gloin said to the others climbing over to us.

Unfortunately, the good news was short-lived.

"Where's Bilbo?"

My eyelids flew open. The hobbit was just with me a second ago!! Now, he was nowhere. No sign of his curly-haired head or feet.

"Where is he?!" I did my best to untangle myself from Fili and Dwalin. "Where's the hobbit?!"

"There!"

There he was, dangling by just his hands over the edge of the cliff.

Ori and Bofur dove onto the ground to try grabbing Bilbo's arm. However, in their haste to help him, they knocked him down further. He managed to catch another handhold just out of reach of the outstretched fingers and flailing arms.

Seeing no other choice, Thorin jumped down to a small ledge just below the cliff and hoisted our burglar upwards until he could be hauled up over the top. But just as he did so, one of the hobbit's flailing feet caught him, sending him skidding off the ridge.

The dwarf was saved by me.

One hand gripped his hand for dear life, and the other gripped a rock firmly enough to turn the knuckles white. I had secured Thorin with lightning quick reflexes. He caught my wrist with a tight grip, as did I, both of us refusing to let go. His legs dangled into the empty air for one horrible moment while I used all my strength just to keep us both from going over the side.

"D...Dwalin!" I hissed through clenched teeth, feeling the rocks under my hand crumble away.

Together, we boosted Thorin high enough for him to hoist one leg up over the ledge and pull himself to safety. I made sure nobody else fell over the side by taking a very quick headcount, and also clapped Dwalin's shoulder as thanks for helping. Once done, I sat back and let my chest take in rapid breaths. I had spent all my energy.