Chapter Seven - Courtney Cox - ✓

"The value of identity, of course, is that so often with it comes purpose."

___________________________________________________________  

Chapter Seven - Rose's point of view

Manhattan, New York

___________________________________________________________

"Wake up, Fox. Come on, wake up." 

What the heck? Ziggy was shaking me awake! I wanted to sleep. I was so tired and happy and then this.

"What, Zig?" I asked, not trying to hide the annoyance in my voice.

"Sorry if you're annoyed, but we have a busy day ahead of us. Now get dressed, eat, and let's go," he said, clearly annoyed too. Fine be that way. I'm going to take my time then.

I started getting dressed when I realized it's been a couple of days and all I've been doing is running around New York. It's important to meet Ziggy's friends and all but I do have my own agenda. It's going to start getting dangerous here. Technically speaking, I have one more year in high school. It's upsetting, sometimes, realizing I'll never have my life back. Being here, in Manhattan, has changed everything for me. So, I'm a runaway, a criminal, and, technically, homeless. Gee, what a swell life I have.

I got dressed and with Ziggy clearly annoyed, I just walked out the door. I didn't care what silly place he was going to show me, I was going to go to the library and try to find a job somewhere.

"Fox! Don't go without me. I'm taking you to get your ID, so if I were you, I'd stay with me," he whispered, smugly.

"Okay."

We began steadily walking along a new pair of streets and so I drew them out on my, now, very eccentric map. I admired other people. Most were dressed in business suits going to work. Some were out with friends drinking coffee. I was at the lowest of the low in the social scale here. I didn't have any money, Ziggy paid for everything of mine. This is why I want a job. It was around noon when we came on the abandoned building. It was completely bricked up.

"Um, do you expect to find a way in?" I asked.

"I've been here numerous times. Watch and learn, Fox."

He pushed in a certain brick and a door appeared out of nowhere and slid open. I stood there, dumbfounded. He laughed and waved at me to join him. He's a really mysterious guy. I'm kinda glad I met him. As I walked through I noticed a bunch of old stuff. Must be a collector. After waving through a couple of doorways, we came into this room with a bunch of machines, and one looked like a printing press.

"Zigmaster! Yo, what up?" This guy with really shaggy blonde hair and grey eyes asked. "And what have we got here?" he asked again, eyeing me.

"Chip, she's a friend. She needs and ID, can you help?" Ziggy looked annoyed. I wouldn't blame him, I wasn't some toy. I was supposed to fit in. Not be some girl wanting to try something new. This was my home, believe it or not.

"Yeah, yeah I can help the pretty young lady. What's your name?" Chip asked me.

I smirked and replied, "No names. The only one you need to know is the one going on my ID."

Chip's smile faded, "Yeah, Zig. You got a keeper. She's no fancy city girl, she a street one, yessire."

"Chip, I told you, we're friends. This isn't," he paused, "Decca. Can't you just sit down with Fox and get her ID done?"

"Fox, what a pretty nickname. Okay come sit." Chip pointed towards the chair in front of the printing press, I think.

"I need some air," and with that Ziggy walked out the door.