Chapter 14

The sound of shoes squeaking and balls bouncing was constant, sometimes being interrupted by a shrill whistle and the sounds of groans as players did their penalty laps right outside of the gym. 

Y/N tried not to let the sounds get to her, failing as she grew more irritated with each passing set. It helped that when she scribbled down stats the sounds would fade, almost as if they were underwater. But then the next set would come and everything was loud.

Her breath of relief couldn't have been more obvious when the last match before lunch ended, Coach Nekomata dismissing everyone in the gym.

"I don't think I'll join you all at lunch," Y/N said to Chikara, coming up behind him with a water bottle in her extended hand. She gave him a relaxed smile at the sight of his look of worry. "Don't start worrying, Chika-chan. See you before the next match?"

Ennoshita gave her a nod and a pat on her arm, sending a smile back as he took the bottle. She turned to walk out, spotting her target right about to leave the doorway. Y/N carefully made her way to the gym doors, catching a hand in hers and tugging it along. Luckily Akaashi was already in the gym, making it easier to grab-n-go.

"Where are we going?" he let her take the lead, easily matching her pace with his long legs.  He pouted at the lack of an answer, speeding up slightly to stand in front of her. He reached a hand to tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear, leaning forward to kiss her forehead. "Everything okay?"

"Library," Y/N said as she made eye contact. "I wanted to get away from the noise... and be alone with you."

Keiji smiled and took her hands in his, using his thumb to rub the inside of her wrist. "That sounds great. Library it is, then."

They made the walk to Shinzen's library, passing some students as they walked in. They quietly greeted the librarian, shuffling across the carpeted floor towards a back end. They passed tall bookshelves and tables in an open area, hiding behind the shelf labeled History.

Y/N reached out, pulling back at the realization Keiji had just played hours worth of sets.

"Can I hug you?" she asked, opting to grab his forearm for the time being. 

He cringed but opened his arms as a welcome. "I don't get why you still want to hug me when I'm sweaty, babe," he muttered into her hair. Ah, but she was so cute like this. He breathed a laugh when her nose turned up, tickling the spot below his Adam's apple.

"You wouldn't hug me if I was all sweaty?"

He looked down to meet her eyes, a grin gracing his features. He mumbled something that sounded like that's fair, coming forward to press his lips against hers. 

Y/N melted into the kiss, turning her head to deepen it in the slightest. This is what she needed. The irritability from earlier disappeared, completely, and she was lost in the feeling of warm lips against hers. It truly didn't matter if Keiji's shirt was a little damp, or that his lips tasted saltier than usual. The feeling of him remained, and that was enough to regulate every imbalance she felt. 

"Woah, careful," Keiji whispered against her lips, his hands coming to her waist to keep her upright. "Didn't think I was that good of a kisser," he joked.

"What? You're the best," Y/N breathed back, tilting her head up to attach their lips once more. She hadn't even noticed the way her legs went weak underneath her weight, but welcomed the way Keiji held her close. "Please.. don't stop kissing me."

He almost missed her words, mind cloudy from the sensation of her lips. But luckily he caught them, carefully adjusting their position so he could support her weight. His hand rose to cup her cheek, deepening the kiss and taking her bottom lips between his teeth. He smirked and the soft whine that escaped, letting her lip snap back into place.