Keys to his heart

Start from the beginning

He loved her.

James Barnes loves someone.

James heart jumped by his realisation. He really did love her. Right then in that moment with the woman he loves standing beside him doing something as simple as locking the door to his house he felt complete.

That was a dangerous feeling for an ex-murderer who at any given moment could snap and fall into a hole of pure rage and black out in his blood boiling anger.

James put the stuff Lilly had gathered from her belongings that she would need into the car and then they drove off in set of her apartment.

When they were outside of Lilly's apartment James got called into work last minute for an important meeting with Steve about a client with millions of dollars on the line. Lilly hugged James and he kissed her goodbye before leaving for his office to meet up with Steve.

James told Lilly that Nat was getting dropped to her place to keep her company and get ready with her.

Lilly pushed her door open and the cold air hit her. She hadn't been home in days and the space was freezing from being left. Lilly turned the heating on and set her stuff down on her bed. When Lilly walked out of her room she saw the box holding the Polaroid, sitting on her kitchen counter.

She hesitantly walked over to it. Knowing that if the greenhouse in that picture was the one at James' house heat did that mean. In reality what did that mean, that he knew or was hiding something. What would that mean from there relationship. Lilly didn't want to leave James but if he was hiding stuff like this from her what else would he hide from her. What else could she do, if he couldn't be honest with her where would this lead?

James hadn't even told her that his parents were both dead. She assumed they were alive and well, living happily somewhere, proud of how successful there son had become. But hearing that his father was killed in the military and his mother was killed, what way she didn't know but she needed to find out what Alexander had meant.

How did she die?

What did the picture mean by don't end up like Winifred?

Lilly got her laptop out of her bedroom drawer and waited for it to turn on. Lilly started down at the photo of the woman she believed to be James' mother. When the laptop was on she searched up the name 'Winifred Barnes'

Lilly was nervous by the amount of old newspaper articles available for the name 'Winifred Barnes'

Lilly clicked on the first one she saw. She wished in that moment that she never got sent that stupid Polaroid and that she never happened to find that ruined greenhouse.

Lilly's stomach turned as she read that the woman she believed was James' mother had been murdered in her own home. But she was apparently killed where James' house was but he house in the old article looked nothing alike.

The houses were completely different to each other. James' house being a dark and sleek mansion that looked nothing like his childhood old English style house. From what Lilly knew about James' mother the house was very much her doing. The choice of flowers, the colours, the style everything was just so perfect and beautiful.

There was a beautiful front garden the lawns were beautiful and the flowers were breathtaking. Lilly couldn't imagine at first why James would rather live in this dark aesthetic house but then it hit her.

He torn down the house to build his.

There was obviously too much pain in that house to live there and Lilly knew she could never sell the house if that was her childhood home. But Lilly wouldn't have torn it down either. She would have tried to live there, to keep the memory of her parents and childhood alive, but the gorgeous English style house wasn't James at all. The bright blooming flowers weren't James. The stunning glass greenhouse wasn't James.

Nothing about the house or land screamed James the only thing connecting the two were his childhood and his parents. Lilly suddenly felt deeply upset for James and all the had to go through. Just the thought of having to make the decision to tear the house down must have broke his heart but she felt it was probably the best thing for him to do.

To just move on without a constant reminder of the pain those four walls and beautiful greenery held for him.

But Lilly didn't know that James carried that pain around with him. He carried guilt on his shoulders constantly.

She didn't know what had really happened to Winifred that night.

𝓚𝓮𝔂𝓼 𝓣𝓸 𝓗𝓲𝓼 𝓗𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓽

                    𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓕𝓪𝓬𝓮 𝓞𝓯 𝓑𝓪𝓵𝓵𝓮𝓽

A/n~ Ah yes James actually getting those eggs, that's what we like to see xx

Follow my TikTok for more @buckyxxrogers05