"Mikael?" she asked. "Did he say anything?"

Klaus hesitated. "Nothing important. His usual taunts."

He had tried to insist that he was fine even after she attempted to coax him into saying more.

"Is this the first time it's happened?" she asked, though she knew the answer.

Klaus decided to tell her the truth this time. "No. I've had these nightmares for days already. But you've hardly been sleeping, love, and I didn't wish to worry you in those few hours when you've managed to rest. It's nothing."

"It's not nothing. Nightmares of your dead father suddenly popping up? That's not normal."

"It... it must be because Hayley's due date is nearing."

Esmeray wasn't convinced. "Klaus, we've spoken about this so many times. You are ready to be a father. You are ready for the stinky diapers and watching the same exact movie over and over again with a giggly little girl. These nightmares must have some magical root. I highly doubt that your worries about fatherhood brought Mikael into your head more than once."

Thus, she had contacted Damon to find out what was happening in Mystic Falls. He had some disturbing news to report.

"These nightmares aren't random," she said in the afternoon, when Elijah and Klaus had spoken to each other and realized that the both of them had had nightmares of Mikael. "Damon says that the Other Side is collapsing. The dead are apparently being torn away into nothingness. If they haven't already gone to peace, they'll vanish permanently, and no one knows where they're going. I need to ask— have Finn or Kol appeared in your dreams? Maybe Esther?"

The two brothers stared at her in shock. "No," said Elijah. "Just... just Mikael. Why did you ask?"

"Because Damon says that Matt Donovan saw Kol on the Other Side. He somehow managed to remember what Kol told him— Kol was the one that spoke about what was happening to the supernaturals there. This... this is concerning. If they're not appearing..."

"They may have already been ripped into nothingness," said Klaus quietly.

"Maybe," she said, trying not to sound so dark, but it was hard to make this be a cheerful conversation. "If Mikael is trying to get into your heads, maybe he's hoping to gain a foothold into this world. I just worry that your brothers and your mother may be doing the same, but to other people."

Elijah frowned. "Elaborate."

"Well, at least your brothers and Mikael are Originals. They're strong enough to get into people's heads. How else would Matt have been able to remember what Kol said? He must have had such a powerful influence, he embedded that memory into Matt's mind just from wanting to. If they're trying to save themselves from being torn away, they might be trying to seep into people's dreams... that could potentially give them a chance to linger as spirits. Damon and Bonnie will update me if anything else happens. For now, they're still stuck dealing with their Traveler problem."

At this, Hayley burst in. "Esmeray," she said, holding her belly. "I've just spoken to Cami— I think Francesca Correa was behind the Bayou bombing."

Esmeray sat up a bit straighter. "Alright, well I can go to the Correa house and light it on fire—"

"Absolutely not," said Elijah as Klaus let out a strained laugh.

"Well, what else am I supposed to do?" asked Esmeray, seeing that Hayley looked a bit under the weather. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Probably just got a cold," said Hayley dismissively. "I um, may have already gone to the Correa house last night to ask Francesca about the bombing."