24: b u t t e r f l i e s

She burns like an angel on fire

January 13, 1991

"Close your eyes."
"Is this necessary?"
"Yes."
"You know I don't like surprises."
"You'll like this one."
  Sydney could hear Chris smiling as he held his hands over her eyes, clumsily ushering her toward the front door of their house. They made it out to the front porch before Chris paused.
"You ready?"
"God I hope so."
"Okay. Open your eyes."
She did as she was instructed. Parked by the curb right in front of their house was a pale yellow Chevy pickup with a matching camper shell on the back. There was an obnoxiously large bow stuck to the top. It took a moment for Sydney's brain to register what she was looking at. Looking up at Chris, he smiled and held out a key.
"You bought me a truck?" She asked in disbelief.
"It's all yours, baby. Happy birthday."
"Are you- really?" Her voice inching higher with excitement. "Thank you so much!"
  She jumped into his arms and wrapped her limbs around him in a whole body hug.
"You're welcome." He smiled, kissing her sweetly before she took the keys from him and checked out her new ride.
He felt so fulfilled at her excitement. It felt good to know that he was the reason behind the smile on her face. Seeing her happy would never get old. The way her smile lit up like the sun was a sight he would never get used to enjoying. Grabbing Bill, he suggested that they go for a ride and she readily agreed.
"I love it so much. It's even my favorite color." She told him after awhile.
"I know. I saw it and I just knew it had to be yours. It has everything your old truck had, plus a little more. It's also newer."
"What year? '84?"
"'85."
"Damn, I was close." She laughed, reaching a hand up to pet Bill who had poked his head through the back window.
"Sydney Lee?" He asked after a few moments of staring at her beautiful face.
"Yes, Christopher?"
"Can I ask you something without you getting mad?"
She looked at him with concern for a second before turning back to the road.
"Sure. Everything okay?"
"Yeah...everything is perfect. I think that's the issue."
"What do you mean?" She asked.
"We need songs for the new album. This might sound stupid, and I don't want to come off like an asshole."
"I'm not sure where you're going with this." She laughed, his nervousness making her nervous as well.
"I've never been so happy before. And I wouldn't trade that for anything, baby... but I feel like I need to take a few days to sit by myself and get some work done on some new material."
Silence followed his statement, and he was too afraid to look up from his hands to see if she was upset or not. To his surprise, she started to laugh.
"Is that all?" She asked.
"Well... yeah?"
"God, you scared me. I thought you were going to tell me that this truck was your way of trying to apologize for breaking up with me or something."
"Oh fuck, no!" He breathed, smiling as he reached over to squeeze her knee. "You can't get rid of me that easily."
They both laughed, breathing mutual sighs of relief. He was so glad that she seemed to understand what he was trying to say.
"I've known you for some time now. I know that you get your best work done when you're alone. We're very much alike in that way."
"I don't think so." He disagreed.
"You don't?"
"Nope. You always do your best work no matter whose around or what's in your way. I wish I could be more like that."
Sydney scoffed, not ever having heard someone say that they actually wished they were more like her. It was one of the best compliments she'd ever received, having someone like him who she admired so much say that he admired her too. She still wasn't sure what he saw in her, but she wouldn't ever take it for granted. Chris was her favorite person.
"I can see if Liz will let me stay with her for a few days. Maybe a week?"
"Oh, no. I'll go somewhere. I'm not sure where yet, but I'm not going to kick you out of our home because I can't stop myself from wanting to fuck you every time you walk by me."
Sydney blushed, shooting him a playful glare. He wasn't lying though... they had sex a lot. She had no complaints. On the contrary, she finally understood what all the hype was about. Chris made her feel things in bed that she had never even guessed possible. Intimacy wasn't a chore anymore, not with him. She was just as eager as he was to stay naked in bed all day.
However, all good things couldn't last forever. He had work to do, and she had countless projects she had started that needed to be finished. They were both active people, albeit rather antisocial, and it was time to refocus on the other aspects of their lives. This whole conversation felt so healthy. It was nice to be able to communicate their needs and their fears so easily, with no worries of judgement or hurt feelings.
"Well, wherever you go and however long you're gone, I'll be waiting here at home when you get back."
"I love you, Syd."
"I love you too."