12 - Unbearable Tension 

Sam slowly opened his eyes and hissed in little pain as his head began to thumb repeatedly. He moved his fingers towards his forehead and traced his fingers over what felt like a closed cut of some sort that had been stitched up. Looking around he realised he was on the sofa in Zemo's hideout, it was dark outside so it must be night time. Sam looked down and noticed he was wrapped in a large blanket, he smiled to himself knowing how much they both cared for him . Noticing a presence beside him ; Bucky was spread across the sofa also under the blanket as it was big enough for a couple of people to sit under.

Bucky's legs where bent slightly to make sure Sam had most of the sofa. As he watched Bucky in his what seemed to be a peaceful slumber he mumbled something under his breath. "No, no" He murmured quietly his voice laced with remorse and anger. Sam started to get concerned, when Bucky had nightmares it was bad. He scooted up closer to Bucky and quavered in his actions deciding wether or not to do it. "Stop" Bucky mumbled again, his body twitching ever so slightly.

Sam brought his body close to Bucky and carefully placed his hand onto the side of his body. "It's alright Buck" He whispered gently rubbing the pad of his thumb in a repeat motion. The Mumbles of Bucky stopped and his slumber now seemed more relaxed. "It's alright" Sam cooed, his hand still in the same potion.

Sam pulled the blanket higher over Bucky's body and removed his hand. As Sam closed his eyes to go back to sleep he heard the faint sound of his name escaping Bucky's lips, that was the last thing he heard before he fell into the world of Dreams.

——

"Wakey wakey" Zemo's voice rung out and the smell of fresh tea was floating around in the air. Sam groaned as he stretched his arms out but was greeted with the annoyed sound of Bucky as Sam just hit him in the face. His face twisted with confusion as he peered right and saw the position the both of them was in. In the night they must have moved, as Bucky was laid against Sams side his head resting just below his shoulder.

"Sorry Buck" Sam spoke in a nervous laugh. Bucky groaned in response but everyone could tell he was trying to suppress a smirk and cleared his throat to cover it up. "How are you feeling Sam, looks like you had a nasty injury" Zemo exclaimed placing a tray of tea down onto the table. "Yeah I'm good, you got knocked out to Zemo are you alright?" Sam questioned. "Yes, I used frozen peas to sooth the swelling" Zemo smiled as Sam nodded in response.

"So Karli is gone, what do we do?" Sam exhaled carefully getting up from the sofa. "We will find her" Bucky spoke. "But somethings not right about Walker" He carried on. "You don't say" Sam laughed snatching his laptop from the table. "I know a Crazy when I see one and he just went and attacked you" Bucky scoffed with a shake of his head.  "I'm good Buck, don't worry" Sam replied.

Bucky sneered running a hand through his hair. "John will get what's coming" he spoke in a low tone sending glares to the floor. "I have noticed you both care about each other" Zemo randomly announced. "Shut up Zemo" Bucky and Sam spoke nearly in sync with each other. Zemo raised his hands in defence "Just saying" He responded quietly swirling the glass of tea around.

After a few moments of silence Sam heard faint footsteps approaching him. "Drink" Bucky's voice sounded from behind him. "What?" Sam responded turning his head to inspect. "You haven't drunk anything and I think you should" Bucky smiled handing Sam the tea that Zemo made. "I'm fine really but thanks Buck" Sam replied giving a soft smile. "Please" Bucky spoke moving the glass further towards Sams face. "Okay" Sam finally gave up and accepted the drink of Bucky sipping it lightly before setting it down next to his laptop.

"You both are cute" Zemo declared before strolling off quickly towards one of the other rooms in his place.

"Cute" Bucky Mocked taking a seat opposite Sam. "What makes him say this stuff" Sam responded. "It's not like we are a couple" He laughed sheepishly. "Yeah" Bucky exhaled rubbing the back of his neck as he avoided eye contact. After a few seconds of complete silence Sam decided to speak up as the tension and silence between them was unbearable. "So you had a Nightmare last night?" Sam asked trying to change the subject. Bucky cleared his throat "Yeah I did, but it stopped for some reason usually I have to bare the pain of it for the whole night" Bucky explained his eyebrows becoming Knitted and a frown appear on his face.

"That's weird" Sam spoke his Palms becoming unusually sweaty. He knew the reason The nightmare stopped was because of the action he took last night and the decision to try and calm Bucky in his sleep was a good one as it stopped the nightmare from progressing, of course he didn't want to let on that He did in fact have something to do with it ; he just kept it to himself.

"You didn't have anything to do with that did you?" Bucky asked his tone unsure. "Why, no...well I knew you was having a nightmare" Sam replied skittishly. "What did you do Sam" Bucky pressed clasping his hands together as he made sudden eye contact.

Sam was stuck on what to say he thought it was be a bad strange if he just came out with I rubbed your side as you slept so instead he came up with a better answer. "I comforted you, you seemed distressed" Sam answered, happy the answer didn't sound to creepy. Bucky's eyes widened ever so slightly and the fainted smile tugged at the corners of his lips. "Well Thank you Sam" He finally answered rising from his seat.

"Anytime" Sam responded but mentally facepalmed as he thought the words he just spoke sounded cringing. Bucky patted Sams shoulder lightly as Sam turned around to face him. Both had smiles on their lips as they ultimately stared at each other, Sam noticed he started to involuntarily lean in.

"Bucky..." He started to speak but was cut off by a loud bang sounding from the main doors.

"All right. That's it, let's go. I'm now ordering you to turn him over" John shouted anger radiating of him. Sam parted quickly from Bucky and strolled towards John irritated. "HEY" Sam exclaimed. "Slow your roll" He spoke.

"What's going on" Zemo announced as he appeared from the room he was hiding in. "Your coming with us" Lemar spoke for John's sake. "Look shield or no shield, the only thing you're running in here is your mouth, I had Karli and you overstepped. Zemo has actually proven himself useful. Not to mention the wound you inflicted on me" Sam spoke trying to keep as calm as possible.

"How do you want the rest of this conversation to go, huh" John replied tightening the grip on his shield. "Back off" Bucky lowly spoke coming next to Sam sending daggers at John. "Yeah" John chuckled softly. "I forgot you got yourself a boyfriend" He taunted. Bucky had now stepped in-front of Sam, incase John lashed out so he would take the force instead of Sam.

Just as he was about to speak up the Dora Milaje walked through the door their faces oozing with unhappiness. "Release him to us now" Ayo spoke. "Hi. John Walker. Captain America" He spoke reaching out his hand for them to shake which obviously they declined sending him halted instead. "You are no Captain America" Ayo Spat.

John was now getting very wound up, looking around as he scoffed clearly wanting to fight them in which he had no chance, Sam explained for him to not tangle with the Dora Milaje because that is something you never do. He in-fact didn't listen to Sam saying that they don't have jurisdiction which was a wrong move to speak.

"The Dora Milaje have jurisdiction wherever the Dora Milaje find themselves to be." Ayo spoke gripping onto the spear harder.

John took the wrong move and placed his hand onto her shoulder and got attacked by the spear. John got forced into the floor cowering under the shield as the spear got smacked into it several times. As this was happening Zemo was casually drinking his drink watching the fight happen in-front of his eyes finding it amusing.

"We should do something" Sam spoke turning to look at Bucky who stood with his arms crossed and sly smirk on his lips. "Looking Strong, John" He shouted practically laughing how he was getting beaten up. "Bucky..." Sam spoke lowly, secretly enjoying the fact John was getting attacked but also thought he should do something.

Eventually Sam and Bucky helped out still finding it funny that John and Lemar was getting beat. Sam and Bucky got caught in the action but stopped as John got pinned down and Bucky had his arm dissembled from his shoulder. They looked around for Zemo but he slipped out in all the chaos so they left.

Sam walked towards Bucky picking up his arm of the floor and carefully handing it back to him, their hands colliding over one another as Bucky took it from his grasp. John and Lemar exited the building leaving them both alone.

"You know where he went" Sam asked looking towards the drain in the bathroom which was opened. "No" Bucky sighed gently patting Sam on the shoulder. "We should go, come on" Bucky added on still resting his hand on Sams shoulder. "Yeah" He agreed placing his own hand over Bucky's.

A/N
All I'm saying is the Build up is going to be worth it :)