"Sign it," he said, placing a piece of paper and an inkwell in front of Klaus. "Both of you."

"Why?" asked Klaus. "You've already done so on our behalf."

"Brother, I am not a fool. It's clear to me you're not as disinterested as you'd like me to believe. Sign, please. If there is no peace between us, then how can you expect others to follow suit?"

Klaus rolled his eyes and reached for the fancy quill Elijah was having everyone sign with. "Fine, if it will make you happy. But, I assure you, this city's inhabitants will not adhere to this agreement. If they didn't do it with Esmeray, they will never do it with you."

He signed his name before patting Esmeray's back and helping her turn around. She did so, signing her name under Klaus's and leaning back into him, now getting a full view of the painting. It was the New Orleans skyline, and Klaus had added a full moon amidst the clouds. At the bottom, barely visible on the land, were two small dots— one brown and one black. Their wolves, observing the moon.

"Klaus?" she asked, once they were in her bed, in their pajamas. "The rings. Is it only to protect your daughter and to make me happy?"

"Not only that," he told her, letting his palm glide over her back. "I wish to learn more about the side of myself that I continue to neglect. I've never done much to help the wolves. You, my little werewitch, have encouraged me to be more attentive to their needs."

"What about the power? I think if anything, Jackson's worried you're going to try and rule the wolves."

"Nonsense. I have no desire to rule the wolves. They want you as their Queen, and they shall have you. Managing just the Crescent Wolf Pack and others that enter the city will be your chance to start small. Prove that you were always meant to be an Alpha, even if your father didn't believe in you. You were born to lead, love. I want to help you do so."

Esmeray cast him a smile, snuggling up to him and closing her eyes.

In the morning, he was painting her.

"My blanket is covering me," she said sleepily, seeing how his eyes scanned over her body. "I thought we'd do this with me fully naked."

"I've only begun to make your outline," he said, winking at her. "Feel free to remove the blanket if you wish."

"You chose a big canvas, though, that usually means you want to put it up in your art room. You use the smaller ones for your room where only we'll see it. I suppose we'll make a separate one another time." She yawned and put her hand under her head, seeing as he continued to paint.

It wasn't fun to just lay there and wait, especially not with how loud it was outside. It sounded like Elijah had gone for full renovations on the Compound, and there were tools blaring about, which kept making Esmeray frown.

"Nearly done, love, and then, I'll tell my brother to piss off," said Klaus, glad that she was staying so still. "You still look quite exhausted."

"Still recovering from last night," she told him with a lazy smile. "You really don't hold back, ever."

"You're too delightful," he said, ducking behind the canvas to paint for a bit before peeking back out. "My inner wolf just can't help but unleash everything trying to please you."

"Well, you and your inner wolf do a good job of it. Unfortunately, it makes me lose any motivation I started the day with. I'd rather just stay in bed all day."

"Then you should," said Klaus happily. "I'd be more than willing to bring you anything you might need."

"Don't tempt me, because I can make you my servant," she teased. "What was it you called Tyler Lockwood? Your little bitch."