The hope in the little girl's eyes, broke Damon's heart. She just wanted to be appreciated for once.

"Your Mom's a liar." Damon gritted.

"Huh?" She asked, not hearing what he said.

"Your Mom. She's wrong. Don't say that word again, okay?" He asked. The kid furrowed her eyebrows and nodded.

Flashback 3

Ava was nine, when she won many awards in various events including both sports and academics. She bounced happily inside the mansion, her medals hung around her neck and trophies and certificates in her hand.

She entered the living room. She didn't fear her parents as much when they were sober. So, like any kid would do. She went to show them all the things she'd won.

Her mother took one glance at her happy self and she was shaking with anger. Before the kid could comprehend what was going on. Everything she won was thrown to the floor.

"Don't be too happy. You're still a burden and disappointment. You need to improve." Her mother said.

Tears ran down her cheeks as she watched her parents leave. Picking up her stuff, she ran to the only place she could go to, to feel like home.

Barging in, she put her stuff in Damon's living room and looked for him.

"Hey baby." Damon's voice sounded. She turned around sharply. Damon looked worried when he saw the tears streaming down her face.

He had got to know about the abuse some time ago.

"What happened?" He asked, moving forward to pick her up and engulf her in a hug.

She cried while she told him everything.
"I know I'm a burden. They threw my trophies and medals on the floor like they were trash. I tried so hard to win them." she sobbed and stuttered, but managed to say what she wanted.

"Don't believe them. You're not a disappointment. You did so well. My little angel is so talented." He said as he hugged her tightly and rubbed her back.

"Where did you put them?" He asked.
"Living room." She answered in a small voice.

He went to the living room, put her down and picked them up. he walked to his room with Amelia following him.

"Look. I'm going to get a new shelf for all of your prizes and awards." He said before placing everything on a shelf then turning to her, only to find her beaming at him.

"Thank you." She said, looking up at him with a wide smile on her face.

Flashback 4.

"New rule. If there are guests over, you do not come out of your room." Chris yelled as he grabbed Amelia's hair and dragged her with him. She screamed in pain. All she did was leave her room when they were having someone over. She was ten at the time.

"Since you broke a rule, you're gonna be punished." He gritted. He opened the main door and kicked her out. It was raining and she shivered as the cold water droplets started drenching her.

"Stay there until I let you in." He pointed his index finger and warned her.

She cried and sobbed as her teeth started chattering and she shivered in cold.

After about ten minutes, a familiar car pulled up in the neighbour's driveway. She looked around so no one was looking and practically ran up to him. She hugged him tightly drenching his suit too as he picked her up and took her inside.

Sitting near the fireplace, she waited for big bro to come. She was wearing Ashton's clothes and sitting really close to the fireplace. He came back with hot chocolate.

"Just half a cup." He said handing the cup to her. He knew she won't be able to finish it.

Next day.

Ava's POV

I was sitting in the window of my room, looking at the huge truck parked in Big Bro's driveway.

I saw the truck being filled up with boxes and their stuff. I was told they were moving out. But he didn't tell me that. I was wishing that was a lie.

Dad locked me in my room, this morning. I was sitting here since then, watching the truck being loaded.

It was afternoon now and my back was hurting because of sitting for so long. The window had one way glass. I could see outside, but no one could see inside.

I watched as big bro and Ash walked out and stood on the driveway. This window was facing their lawn.

I noticed something in Ashton's hand. It was a toy plane, I gave to him when I started going to their house. It was heavy and made of metal.

Quickly opening the window, I stuck my head out a little, looking at them desperately, just to have one look from them, just to know they'll be back soon and they're not leaving me forever.

But they didn't even look back. Big bro didn't even look back as he walked towards the car. Ashton stood there for a second before turning around. He looked at me then, did something I would've never expected him to.

He swung his hand full force and threw the toy straight at my window. I quickly got away and jumped on my bed as the sound of metal connecting with glass and glass shattering was heard. The toy had hit the other half of the window which was still closed and fell inside.

My door slammed open. My dad stood there, looking enraged.

That got me the worst beating till now. I cried for two days straight. Only one thing kept repeating in my mind.

They left me too.

After exhausting myself emotionally. I decided not to get attached with someone. Not to trust anyone. If my own parents didn't love me, why would a person who is not even related to me, do?

That's when I turned numb. That was the last time I cried. That was the last time I trusted someone. That was the time when I accepted that I was a burden and a disappointment. I didn't deserve to be loved.