(1) Dog Walkers, not Stalkers.

Start from the beginning

As I stepped out, I was aware of the worker van parked opposite my house. The guy next door was having some work done in his home. The workers must have been just about to pack up for the day, because they were all gathered around the van, two of the three puffing on a cigarette, while the other one stood there fiddling with his phone. What is with everyone constantly on their phone, anyway? Can’t they wait until they get home to check their precious Facebook pages?

Three sets of eyes snapped to me as the gate clicked closed. I hurried down the garden path, and stepped out onto the pavement, deciding to go the long way around the block to avoid talking to them. I nodded my head in acknowledgement as they smiled at me. I’m not completely ignorant, you know.

Admittedly, the guy on the left was pretty damn hot.

I walked down the street, contemplating where I was going to go. I definitely wanted to walk on the costal path, so I decided to walk to Tywod Melyn beach, take the costal path to St. August’s Chapel, walk back to the valley by the road, and cut up through the Cathedral back home—which in total was about a two hour stroll. It would be pitch black when I got back.

Walking is a great way to let your thoughts surface though. I come up with life’s greatest solutions while I’m on my own walking. Well, not really, but it’s still a nice time to think. That’s why I like going out in the evening and in winter—there’s nobody about, and I basically get the whole costal path to myself. It’s also a great time to explore new places. I’m one of those people who like finding abandoned sheds, old bridges or derelict houses and having a look around.

I remember one night; I found this run down old house. All the windows were smashed, and half the roof was caved in. I climbed through one of the windows, and began looking around. I started to grow suspicious when I saw fag ends scattered on the floor, which suggested that people had been there recently, when suddenly, I heard crunching glass in the room next door, and quiet talking. I hid in a cobweb-infested hole underneath the staircase, and watched silently, as about ten guys, aged between around fifteen and twenty came into the room. I was shitting myself, to say the least when I discovered that this was where they all met up to do their drugs. I hid in that hole for hours, cursing my curious mind that got me into this mess in the first place. It was gone midnight by the time I got home, and I got a bollocking to end all bollockings from my parents. I never told them what actually happened, though.

I arrived at Tywod Melyn beach, after an uneventful trip there. Really. I didn’t see a soul.

I traipsed through the gravelly car park, which overlooked the sea, and went onto the costal path which led past the beach, and to my next destination.

The wind came in strong gusts as I came out into the open sea front, and stole all the heat from me. I crammed my hands into my pockets and picked up my pace in an attempt to generate some more heat. After about ten minutes, I was alright again. I stopped at a viewpoint and looked out to sea. There were several ships in the distance, their sparkling lights shining for miles in the enclosing darkness, as the sun disappeared behind the horizon and turned the sky a bruised purple overhead. I looked behind me, and something moving along the dirt path caught my eye. It was moving fast, and coming my way.

My paranoia started to kick in. It could be a stalker, following me until I’m all alone. What if he tries to grab me? I started walking, nervously glancing back behind to find that the person was still following. I broke into a sprint, clutching my penknife in my pocket and repeating “shit” over and over in my mind. I ran around a bend, and stopped for a moment where I couldn’t be seen. There was a path leading off the main one, and behind what looked like some rocks. I looked behind once more, to make sure the person was still out of sight, and ran down the small path. I got to the end, and it did indeed lead behind some rocks. I was completely hidden from view, with the gorse bushes and blackthorn that grew up behind me as well.