Twenty

SORRY ABOUT THE CLIFFHANGER :P
AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 20,000 READS

Her eyes widened as she felt the cold blade against her throat.

"What are you...?" she strained against him but he had her pinned.

"You don't understand, Jolana. You can not be here any longer,"

"General..." tears welled up in her eyes

"I wanted you to have fun before I had to do this," he had his forearm pressed against her chest, he could feel her heave beneath him. "I'm not cruel, if I had known it was your birthday I wouldn't have done the party today maybe tomorrow. I couldn't have waited too long or else I'd lose my nerve,"

"General Kirigan, please..." 

"You don't get it," he said through his teeth, "I've meant all I've said,"

She was scared out of her mind but she looked at him. There was pain in his eyes. He was a war leader who no doubt had to have killed people before, but doing this hurt him.

"I'm sorry," she said softly

"You're sorry? You speak as though you have a dagger to my throat," he scoffed, "I didn't want to have to do this. I only ever wished for a Sun Summoner, and I received that through my patience. You... You... are the issue," 

She looked confused

"You came here with your red hair and blue fire," he took the knife off of her throat and traced the edge of her face with the blade. The cold metal caressed her skin and it sent chills down her spine. This was her opportunity to escape and run, run into the party and disappear while she still had her life. 

She wasn't sure why but she stayed. 

He continued, "I did the whole feelings for others thing, I watched the people I grew to love, get killed right in front of me. I watched as they took this blade and drove it into her stomach, and twisted it. She bled out before she could get help, she was a Healer ironically. Isn't that funny?" he said without a hint of humor in his voice.

"I'm sorry," she said again, her voice just barely over a whisper.

"Well, I can't change the past. I can change the future. You can change the future, my future, but I can't allow that,"

"I wouldn't change anything you wouldn't want me to," she offered as a tear fell and ran down her cheek.

"No, but you already have. The issue is that you already have. You changing values is not in my plan, I have been patient, too patient to allow silly feelings to alter a plan that has taken years to come to fruition,"

She gulped and tried to make as little sound as possible as she cried.

"But you were beautiful and yelled at me, and made me laugh at you," he took the knife and placed it under her chin forcing her to look up at him, "Your abilities were fire and I was convinced there was something more because of the electricity I felt every time I saw you,"

She was able to get a few words out, "It feels like sparks," she breathed out.

"I could never let anything happen to you, and that would have ruined things. I would have been willing to decimate my own army if you were in the crossfire,"

She gained some nerve, "Then why are you trying to kill me?" she demanded as she looked up at him.

"Because it needs to be done, for the sake of all Grisha. I couldn't have anyone else deal with you, I would've killed them for even getting near you before they were able to do the job," he took his arm off her chest and reached out, running his hand through her hair as he spoke, "I can live with hating myself,"

"If you don't drag this blade into me and draw blood, what would you do?" she challenged, "if this were just me and you at a party?"

"I would've asked you to dance in front of everyone, grabbed your hands, and watched the envy on the face of everyone in the room,"

"That would've been nice, to be wanted. The dress you picked is really pretty," she said forcing a smile, trying to wipe away her tears discreetly.

"I have great taste, but most of it is who's in the dress," he said in a deep voice.

Jolana dared further, "Tell me more, if I'm going to die tonight I would want to die happy,"

"You look gorgeous," he leaned in and whispered in her ear, "I could drown in you," 

What she did next surprised herself, she pushed his shoulder flipping their positions so now he was against the wall. She kissed him. He dropped the dagger to cup her face.

They stayed like that and drowned in each other.