Chapter 26: Walls

Start from the beginning

The close proximity had your heart burning and the mark on your hand and wrist pulsating almost painfully.

"I was the one who found you on the shore," He started, breath brushing against your ear, "My people are taught from a young age to kill trespassers--gender to be disregarded. I was to kill you."

"Then, why didn't you?"

He smiled softly, continuing to style your hair. 

"As I was about to run my spear through you, you opened your eyes and you said something that convinced me of your divinity."

You remained silent, eyes locking on the opposite side of the tent. 

"You were delirious from the sea, but your words rang with something I could not describe..."

"You make it sound as though I predicted the future."

He chuckled, hand reaching for the headdress. 

"No, nothing as amazing as that, my goddess."

"No?" You repeated, "Then what did I say?"

"You opened your eyes and saw the spear in my hands. You saw me preparing to run you through...and you looked at me and told me to get to shelter--that the storm would kill me."

Your body stiffened at his words, body turning to look at him. 

His eyes met yours and he smiled. 

"The storm had already passed at that time, so your warning was in vain...but it still touched me. Only a goddess would have such compassion for a being who, not only had no care for her wounds, but was willing to run her through without a second thought."

"Sounds like you need nicer people on this island," You mused, "If you were trained to kill trespassers, why didn't you kill my crew when they arrived?"

He was silent for a few moments, clearly contemplating how to answer your question without upsetting you. 

You tilted your chin upwards. 

You'd seen that look on plenty of people before. 

He knew something you didn't...something that you probably weren't supposed to know.

"Why?"

He let out a huff, gently placing the headdress atop your head. 

The blue gem rested against your brow, catching the light and causing your blue eyes to shine. 

Alon almost lost his breath at the sight of you. 

He wasn't to tell you anything--His father had told him that you were not to know of anything to do with the ceremony or the fates of your 'crew'. Looking at you now, he could feel nothing but pity towards you. 

You had no idea of the terrors that would await you. 

And he could not help but to feel that he would be a great part of whatever suffering you would be forced to endure. 

His father had told him that your pain would bring about your clarity and that your attachment to the trespassers would prevent you from fulfilling your duties. These men bind you to the Earth and keep you away from your true purpose.

Alon could see the walls that rested just behind your eyes. You were guarded and his father believed it was because of those men. 

But the young man could not help but feel as though it was something that extended the reach of men...

Walls had been placed around him his entire life--keeping him from the things he'd longed for. In his childhood, his father was the wall separating him from a life of normalcy with other children. As he grew, his titled was the wall between him and his happiness. And the sea--The largest wall he'd ever faced. The sea was a wall he'd long thought impossible to climb. It kept him from a life of adventure that he'd craved for as long as he could remember.