Freytag's Pyramid

Start from the beginning

.

.

The actors were doing an excellent job. Enders was impressed. Yet, he could not stow away his restlessness until the entire ordeal was over, without any incident.

.
.
.
Finally the time came for the climax....

[Scene Continues]
Portia, disguised as a lawyer , claims that Shylock can take the pound of flesh , but he has no right to Antonio's blood. The contract strictly mentions 'a pound of flesh' . So, if Shylock sheds even a drop of Antonio's blood then the contract will be terminated and Shylock will have to pay the ultimate price- the death penalty.

Shylock- Then can I already have my principal amount back?

Portia- No Jew. You demanded justice. And justice shall be served. Now bare your bosom for the knife for you shall pay with your life. I claim it and the Court of Venice will verify it.

(Court of Venice gives its affirmation).

Shylock- O noble judge. You who is so knowledgeble will surely give this lone soul a last chance of redemption. I beg you to let me ask Antonio one last question.

It was not in the play. Was this the change Enders was talking about? The audience could not wait to find out.

[Contd..]

Portia gives permission

Shylock- Mr. Antonio, if I am not wrong, you frequent the steakhouse 'Il Meglio'?
Antonio- That is true but I do not see its relevance to this case.

Judge- I agree .

Shylock- I beg your pardon but allow me to call Sig.Balthazar, who is a waiter at the steakhouse, as a witness.

[Pause]

By now the play had significantly deviated from the original. The few who glanced at Lord Enders' direction failed to notice that the host himself was surprised. Why wouldn't he be? The scene was supposed to end with Shylocks's death. What were these new shenanigans? But he judged against creating a commotion when the entire hall was spellbound. He would deal with the matter later, he thought.

[CONTD]
Shylock- Signior Balthalzar, Am I right in stating that you have been serving in the Meglii for the last ten years?

Balthazar- Yes my lord.

Shylock- Do you concur that Sig. Antonio is a regular there?.

Balthazar- Yes. In fact, I have served him too many times.

Shylock- Does he usually order for his steak , specifically ordering the blood inside to be removed?

Balthazar- (incredulous) I have never received such requests from anyone , my lord.

Shylock- Then you concur , if someone were to order a pound of a steak then , the blood inside is included with the meat?.

Balthazar- Yes, my lord.

Shylock-(to the judge ) Your honor, thus I claim my justice of a pound of flesh.