Chapter Forty-Five

POV Alec

Alec had always enjoyed baking, especially around christmas but he felt like the holidays had lost some of their magic for him within the last few years. He still vividly remembered being so excited about decorating the tree and getting presents as a young boy but the older he got the more christmas just felt like every other day to him. Of course he still liked the whole season as a general and it would probably be impossible for him to not get excited about the snow outside at all but still ... in the last few years he had always felt like something was missing.

He and his siblings had to deal with their parents' constant fighting at first and later with the divorce so the holidays had not really been that great recently.

But now everything was different again. After a long time their mother was finally happy again and they had all found great friends here in Maysfield. Living without their father had been weird at first, especially for Max, but it seemed to work out just fine now.

The situation still wasn't perfect of course but Alec had a feeling that things were starting to get seriously better now.

If Robert wanted to stay in contact he would have to do some more than just half-heartedly apologizing to them and actually show that he still cared about their family because otherwise Alec definitely wasn't going to forgive him for what he had done. Obviously it would never be exactly as it had been in his childhood but Alec wanted to give his father one last chance to show that he could maybe change for the better.

As for everything else ... their whole world had been flipped upside down within the last few month and it had been quite scary and overwhelming but Alec was glad that it had happened because otherwise he wouldn't be here right now, standing in this incredibly kind-hearted and good-looking warlocks kitchen together with his siblings and his mother baking christmas cookies. No matter what had happened the days before, this right now just felt so perfect. It felt right. Like it was meant to be that way.

Max had been very enthusiastic with his task of preparing the work surface and his clothes were now almost completely covered in flour, making him look like a little snowman.

Moreover Jace had somehow managed to drop the egg they needed for the dough and Alec had almost knocked over the bowl twice. Normally he would probably be embarrassed about his clumsy behaviour but today everything just seemed extremely hilarious to him.

They all always teased Izzy about her poor cooking skills but in comparison to them she seemed to be able to cope with the task better than they were at the moment.

"Is this how you are acting in the kitchen when I'm not home?" Maryse asked while she was looking over Jace's shoulder in order to see what they were doing. "Because if yes I'm never going to leave you guys home alone again ever."

"Hey, we know exactly what we're doing here, right Max?" Jace looked at their little brother for support.

"Yeah totally" Max said but it didn't sound convincing at all.

Maryse sighed and shook her head. "I think you should all get weekly lessons in cooking and baking from now on." She looked over to Magnus. "You surely know how to cook, right?"

"Uhm ... actually I almost always just use my magic for that" Magnus admitted and awkwardly rubbed his neck. "But I make great pasta and sauces."

Maryse looked like she was about to say something else but right in that moment there was a knock at the front door.

"Oh I bet that's Simon and Clary. They wanted to drop by right after school so I'm just going to let them in real quick" Magnus said and hurried out of the kitchen. Somehow Alec felt like he was trying to flee from the situation and a fond smile spread on his face as he looked after his boyfriend.