19: OUT OF THE FLAMES AND INTO THE DEEP - THE PATH OF INNER BEASTS

Start from the beginning

What do you want, young soldier?

I want to makgood choices. I want to be able to see all possibilities so that I would know that the decisions I make would be the best for everyone.I want to be wise and intelligentenough to never have to make a choice between the two people I love the most.

Solomon backed a few steps when the lion walked to him. Up close, he realized that he was just as big as its head. When it opened its mouth in a snarl, Solomon had to close his eyes. He prepared himself for the attack, but instead, he felt the warmest breath. The flames surrounding him disappeared, along with the lion. When he gathered his wits again, he walked to the table and claimed his weapon. and then, he was back in the chamber.

So at the moment, he was standing in front of a rock mountain, glaring at the dark pass they had to go through to get to the last puésto. Joana’s map showed only two active portals. This, and another one just a few miles away. He had sent out Zetas to scout the area, and they came back with negative reports.

“Captain,” Selina spoke beside him, “the next puéstis surrounded by a band of Outbound rebels.”

“Sol,” Solenn called out softly, “it’s either the pass or a possible confrontation with the hostile Outbounders. We’ve already been in a few fights with the stray demons that got out of the enemy’s ripped portals. our soldiers are tired and weary, and it’s not a good state to be in if we’re going to infiltrate the enemy’s base after crossing this puésto. But you’re the brains, I’m the brawns. Whatever your call is, I’ll go with it.”

Solomon looked at his co-captain and then their first lieutenant. Both of them were waiting for his decision, ready to accept and execute whatever plan he had come up with. Solenn had always been like that. She never once questioned any decision he made for the both of them. Shortly after they became friends with Selina, she too just went along with whatever choice he came up with.

“Why?” he had asked Solenn once, when the three of them were on a break from training. “You question every form of authority with utmost glee, most especially Samson’s. Why do you never question mine?”

“Because I trust you,” Solenn said. “You don’t trust Samson?”

“Oh, I do. I trust him with my life. It’s just that you need it more. Trust. And I’m giving it to you freely.” Solenn looked at him and shrugged. “You’ve never failed me before and you won’t fail me in the future. I trust you.”

Solomon wasn’t one to be moved by such sentiments, but those words really did take a lot of weight off him. He looked up at Selina, who was lounging quietly at a branch above them and asked, “What about you?”

“It’s easier not to argue with you,” the quiet girl simply said. “Anyway, if you ever got me in trouble I’d just shoot my way out of it. Or shoot you.”