20

the four teens spent their time discussing books and poetry since they sat down.

although it started awkward between the unsuited quartet, they seemed to fit into a flow and teagan was actually enjoying herself listening to jess and paris argue over whether kerouac was a waste of writing or not.

"...typical guy response. worship kerouac and bukowski. god forbid you pick up anything by jane austin." paris argued, pointing a fry at his face.

"hey, i've read jane austin." jess pointed back.

"hold on, you borderline harassed me for reading 'pride and prejudice'. i have to side with paris here." teagan cut in.

"don't encourage this." he turned to the brunette. "i think she would have liked bukowski."

teagan rolled her eyes at his response, unwilling to argue further with the stubborn boy.

"what are you doing?" paris changed the subject, watching curiously as jess put salt and pepper on the fries.

"salt and peppered it. only way to eat a fry."

"really?" paris then eyed rory.

"it's fast-food gospel." rory shrugged.

teagan watched as the, what she thought was, sheltered girl try and enjoy a salt and peppered fry for the first time.

the brunette tuned out on their following conversation on hot sauce as she went to answer the phone, assuming it was anna or cal calling to check on her.

"hello?"

"hey?" an unfamiliar voice answered on the other side.

"who's this?" teagans words caught the attention of the gilmore girl and she turned to listen in to the conversation.

"it's dean. i wanted to call rory to tell her i was headed over. where is she?"

deans words made teagans heart drop, she knew that if dean arrived and saw jess, he was going to go slightly crazy.

honestly, she didn't understand the hatred they had for each other but she knew dean could overreact.

something about dean thinking he was a bad influence on teagan and thought he was changing her for the worse, though the two hadn't been very close since the end of teagan and rorys friendship, and the former has always considered him to be 'psycho', secretly.

however, teagan still worried about rory sometimes and didn't want to leave her ex-friend to deal with a 'dean breakdown' by herself.

she panicked and motioned for rory to hurry over to the phone. "oh- uh- here she is." teagan quickly passed the phone over to her and rushed back over to the kitchen.

she watched as the girls anxiety increased as she tried to find reasons to stall him, unsuccessfully, and walk back through to the table.

"i just noticed the time, and it's getting really late." rory breathed out.

"it's 7 o'clock." jess told her, scanning teagans face as it contorted into worry.

"yeah, but paris has got more studying to do." teagan reasoned.

"and i still have to do my laundry." rory added.

"exactly, so jess." teagan walked over to his jacket. "please thank luke for us, it was really nice of him."

"who was that on the phone?" he asked, unconvinced.

"no one."

"no one wouldn't happen to be heading over here?"