Chapter 14- Past and Future

William Grey -POV

As soon as I set eyes on the young lady, I knew she was my blood. Her face, her walk, her eyes, made me remember my James and Nina.

As she entered and started to look around, amazed by seeing the library, made me realize that she must be living in a small place. Which forced me to think, in what kind of situations was she raised? Where is Nina? I wanted the answers but I knew it was me who had to answer her questions.

The shock in her eyes was evidence enough when Alex told her that I was her grandfather, that she didn't believe me or him. That meant Nina hadn't told her anything yet. But I wanted my daughter and granddaughter back, and for that, I'll have to tell her about her past, her parents, as much I didn't want to relive those moments, I knew I had to.

She had no idea that she may be in danger now, I knew I'd done a selfish deed by calling her here as I know if they get a whiff of her, they'll be after her, I'm sure.

"S..sir?", I heard her quivering voice and I looked up at her, her eyes shone with tears and held confusion, fear, and panic. She looked ready to run away at any moment.

I sighed and nodded. I'd tell her.

"Sandra, you are my granddaughter. My blood. My son's only child and-"

"No! Stop please!", she shook her head, "I am so sorry but I cannot do this! I can't hear this!", she almost screamed and tears started flowing from her eyes and it broke my already shattered heart.

"You are my father's father? My father's! The man who left my mother? Pregnant and alone? My mother died to give birth to that man's child! The man who left me long before I even came into this world? I hate him and I don't want to know anything about him or about you! I'm so sorry but I just cannot do this!", she stood up and walked out of the library.

My mother died to give birth to that man's child!

Ni...Nina was no mo..more? She's now with her husband? She passed away so many years ago and I had no idea?

As Alex ran after her, I, for the first time in my life, felt that I've failed my family. My son. My Nina.

Why did she think that her father left her? What was she told? With whom was she living? Questions with no answers.

Sandra Stone: POV

"You're my granddaughter. My blood. My son's only child"

Oh, Lord! What had just happened? That man said I'm his blood? His granddaughter? How could he think I'll believe him? This lie? This ridiculous story? What does he think? That I'm stupid?

But why did I want to believe him? This lie, this story? My heart said to stop and listen to him but I just couldn't. The pain, the love, the truth in his eyes made me stand up and run away from there. What if he is saying the truth? His eyes...they're my father's. Although I haven't seen him ever, I'm told that he had those eyes. And I have the same. But is that enough? Is that enough to believe a complete stranger when he says I'm what he says I'm?

"Oh God! What the hell is happening!!?", I shout to no one in particular.

"Sandra?", I hear Alex's voice and my already high temper raises a level.

He brought me here. He made me meet this man. He!

"What! What? What will you say now? That I'm your long lost sister or something? Huh? Do you think I've lost my mind that I'm gonna believe all this? Say something! You brought me here! If I'd any idea that this trip was gonna mess my mind like this, I would've never stepped in the car! I swear if this is some joke or something, I'm gonna report you to the cops for messing with my personal life! Do you get that? Do you get that Mr. Alexander Black??" I screamed at him, not caring if he was my boss or anything for that matter.

"Sandra, this is no joke. You really are his son's daughter. Please listen to him. He's an old man, why will he lie like this? You're his only family. Please, Sandra. Just listen to what he has to say.", Alex almost pleaded and I just couldn't do anything. His eyes were begging me and I just nodded.

Why? I don't know. Maybe I needed a push to walk in the library again to at least listen to him. He's an old man. He won't lie like this. If I'm really his only family, I have to be there.

Wait.

Only family? What does this mean? Is my father not around? Is he....dead?

And what does that mean? That I'm believing him?

William Grey: POV

I sighed in relief when I saw Sandra walking behind Alex, and decided to be slow and clear about what I was going to tell her. I didn't want her to run away again. No, no, she's here to stay.

"I'm sorry Sandra if I startled you but-"

"No, I'm sorry, that I sprinted off...it was just that I'd no idea what you were about to say and I got scared and I just didn't think-"

"It's fine darling, I understand. Please sit down. Do you need a glass of water?" Before she could say anything, I called for the housekeeper to bring some cold water. Sandra was sweating, she could use a glass of chilled water.

The housekeeper walked inside the library, carefully glancing towards Sandra. I couldn't blame, my housekeeper Lina used to be Nina's best friend. They became friends because of their rhyming names.

Oh, good days!

Lina was distraught when Nina went missing, and she was probably shocked to see Sandra, who looked a lot like her mother.

Clearing my throat, I started.

"Sandra, your father, James and your mother Nina had an arranged marriage. Your mother's father was a business ally of mine, and your parents' marriage was simply a contract marriage, but soon your parents actually fell in love with each other. They were going to have you only after a year of their wedding. When your mother was six months pregnant, she was kidnapped. By her brothers."

Sandra's head jerked up when I stopped for a moment, to let her understand what I said.

"Her brothers? Why!?"

"Your grandpapa was a very wealthy man, darling." I began the tale of her life. "He had twin sons and a daughter. Jamie Stone and Cyrus Stone were your mother's elder brothers. Being the kids of such a reputed man, they were spoiled badly. They wasted their father's money on drinking, gambling, and women. Out of the three kids, only your mother was the most sensible person. She was an amazing businesswoman, so it was no surprise that your grandpapa left his business in her name, and only some of his wealth was given to his sons. Needless to say, your uncles were outraged with this. Your grandpapa passed away when your mother was two months pregnant with you and when his will was read, your uncles almost turned mad with shock and disbelief. They were very sure that they'll get everything after your mother was married away. But that didn't happen. They disappeared after that. Four months later, your mother went missing. Your father went mad looking for her. We had no idea where she went, if she ran away or someone took her. There were no calls for ransom or anything. We would have never known until your uncles came forward and told us that they'd kidnapped her to threaten her to name their father's business in their name. They'd thought that your mother was pregnant, she could've easily given in to their demands but no. Your mother refused to do so. She didn't agree to give her father's hard-earned property and money to her non-deserving brothers who had sunk to the level of kidnapping their pregnant sister. Soon, somehow, she escaped. But she didn't come back here, she went somewhere else. We never came to know where went, was she alive or not. Nothing. Your father was so depressed. But, but...now, you are here. You're alive! I don't know what your mother told you but this is the truth. You're not Sandra Stone, you are Sandra Grey, the Sandra Grey. Daughter of James and Nina Grey. The heiress of the Grey Empire. That is the truth and you have to believe it."