•23• Shaved Ice

B r o d i e

My palms are icy cold as my hands carry two mounting bowls of shaved ice across the wooden pavilion of Aoki's Shave Ice shop. I tread my feet carefully as I make my way over to the picnic table waiting for me, making sure not to drop the sugary treat already melting in front of me. Lelani's smile is beaming as she catches sight of me heading her way, and she jumps up from her seat, hurrying over to me and excitedly snatching one of the plastic bowls from my hold.

She doesn't hesitate as she shovels a huge bite into her mouth, humming to herself with delight as she tastes the pineapple and coffee-flavored combo. "You know, I really do like you, Lani, but I'm really starting to question your palate preferences."

"Whatever," she giggles, carelessly scooping another bite and cutting her eyes to the bowl in my hands with judgment. "Like you have room to talk. Cherry, really? How more basic could you get, Maverick?"

"Well, excuse me," I chime back teasingly, raising my palms in defense. "I didn't know being team cherry would be such a crime."

"We'll consider this time a misdemeanor, alright? Next time, I'm not sure if you'll get off so easily." Lelani sassily pivots on her foot, walking her way back over to the wooden built table where our friends are waiting.

A burnt and blistered Murphy sits on the top surface of the table, throwing his head back and making the curls on the top of his head bounce as he laughs like a fool at something Alana just said. Delk sits on the seat beside her, the two of them chuckling together as he launches a spoonful of shaved ice at Murphy's face. The sun is beginning to set in the sky, blanketing us all in a warm, golden color. I take a seat on the bench opposite my friends, patting on the empty spot beside me for Lelani to join. Happily, she swings her legs across the wooden plank, her thighs brushing against mine as she scoots up next to me.

My eyes skim over her golden, tan shoulders and the strings of her emerald green bikini peeking out of the collar of her shirt. She catches me ogling, and throws me a challenging smirk as she whispers over to me, "You're staring."

"No, I'm not," I lie, biting back my smile and drawing my fingers to the laces of her bathing suit. "Your strings are just tangled."

"Mhmm," she hums, completely unconvinced. "I'm sure."

I try to conjure up a witty comeback, but before I can get it out, Delk speaks up, asking, "So Lelani, Dawson here tells me you've been gracious enough to offer his sorry ass surfing lessons."

"Oh, is that what he tells you now?" She giggles, cutting her gaze over to me playfully.

"There wasn't no offering to it," Murphy voices, "Dawson damn near tricked this poor thing into teaching him. Sneaky little bastard."

I chuckle at the comment, feeling my cheeks becoming flushed with embarrassment as my friends remind me of my pathetic attempt to hang out with Lelani when I first met her. She nudges my arm, bouncing off of my friends' teasing, "I mean in your defense, Brodie, for an 11-year-old, you've caught on pretty fast."

"That's right," Delk smiles, tilting his head over to me, "I almost forgot about you committing identity fraud just to get Lelani, here, to talk to you. What was the name you came up with again?"

"Maverick," Lelani laughs, answering the question for me.

"Shit," Murphy hoots, "He's slicker than pig snot on a radiator."

"Shut up," I chuckle, heat rising to my neck and face. I take a bite against my shaved ice, hoping to cool my hot skin. "I hate you guys," I mumble through a full mouth.