1. Brainstorming

The first thing you need to do when beginning your historical fiction writing journey is imagining a story you would like to write about. Many writers become frustrated when having to think of the perfect story that will keep readers engaged while still remaining true to the time you are writing about. 

The good news is, if you're a person who loves stories (since you're here in the first place, I'm really hoping that is the case!), you are most likely a naturally creative and imaginative person. You just need some time to let your imagination "run wild." And if you end up not liking an idea, that's totally fine! You can always tweak the plot later. Don't worry about perfectionism right now!

Ideas can come from lectures and class lessons, movies, documentaries, songs, artwork, newspapers, and even dreams. Some of the best stories I've written began as daydreams. For example, my mafia-romance book, Our Way, resulted from daydreaming while walking around a grocery store and picking up ingredients for dinner. I had just watched a Martin Scorsese movie and was wondering what the wives, girlfriends daughters, mothers and sisters of mobsters felt about being part of the mafia. 

Another thing you can do to get inspired is free writing. Grab a pen or pencil and a piece of paper, and simply write whatever comes to mind. As you write, think about which historical periods you've always wanted to explore. Imagine living in different places at different times, and write from the perspective of whichever characters and people you want. Write about the day in the life of a female shopkeeper in Victorian England. Or the diary entry of the Pharaoh's wife in Ancient Egypt. Don't worry about the details at this point, just write about whatever and whoever you think seems interesting to brainstorm. 

When you're in the brainstorming process, it is vitally important that you begin thinking about a specific time period and geographical setting that you want your story to take place in. Thinking about this can also help you decide on a story idea. Are you passionate about sharing the history of your home country or the place you grew up in? Are you eager to write about the Civil Rights Movement in the United States or perhaps another historical social movement that you care deeply about? Have you ever travelled somewhere that peaked your interest? Have your parents, grandparents or great-grandparents even shared stories about the past that you would like to write about?

My most recent work was inspired by a castle that I visited in my home country, Ireland. I was entranced by it and wanted to know more. Even though my book does not take place in Ireland, but in medieval France, the experience of visiting the castle was the beginning of my writing journey. I wondered what life was like for the servants of the castle, including whether they were ever able to ascend to the higher ranks of society. 

I also visited a beautiful chapel in Paris that I later used as the home parish of Lorraine in Daughters of the King

I also visited a beautiful chapel in Paris that I later used as the home parish of Lorraine in Daughters of the King. Having seen the gorgeous stained glass, I was later able to describe it using colourful imagery.

Overall, brainstorming is one of the most fun parts of the writing process, other than the actual writing, of course! Give yourself time to daydream, imagine and think about all the possible historical stories you can share with the world

Overall, brainstorming is one of the most fun parts of the writing process, other than the actual writing, of course! Give yourself time to daydream, imagine and think about all the possible historical stories you can share with the world. Jot down your ideas in a journal so that you don't forget them, and talk about these ideas with a trusted confidante.