A proposal? Really? His wolf rolled his eyes. You think that's what your mom wants you to do?

You think she doesn't? Van shot back. I know that Mom really likes Zoey and thinks we should be together. Why else would she make such a fuss over the Formal and dressing Zoey up for it?

Well, you better hope that you haven't spooked Zoey indefinitely.

Van brushed off the comment as they arrived at the door for the fitting room. While he wanted to respect his mother and give Zoey her dazzling "moment of reveal" tomorrow, part of him wanted to stay with her to see the process.

"Thank you for escorting me," Zoey announced, sliding her hand free. "You should probably take a couple steps away from the door before I go in. We better not risk you peeking inside, or your mom will have a few words for both of us."

He pouted a little but backed a few steps away from her. "Have fun. The guys and I have our own fittings, and then we're going to test the fencing pods. Meet me on the patio for lunch?"

Her eyes sparkled a little, and she nodded with a smile. His own smile broke out before he could stop it. The click of a door opening somewhere in the hallway brought him back to reality before he turned into a complete fool. He and Zoey blinked at the same time, and she took a sidestep towards the door.

"I should... go in for my fitting."

"I'll see you later."

She nodded again and turned the door handle. "Enjoy your clothes fitting."

He grit his teeth and scrunched his nose. "Yeah..."

"Just go get it done, and then you can go do the fun things with your guys." She shot him a smile and ducked into the room.

He stared at the closed door for a minute before his wolf gave a huff.

The sooner you go do what you need to do, Romeo, the sooner you can be with her again.

"Yep," he muttered, turning away from the door.

#

"Well that was just as awkward as I thought it would be," Snuff muttered, straightening his jacket.

"It's for a good cause," Stitch answered. "We need to keep a low, yet diverse profile during the Formal. The outfits are just part of the job."

"At least we can now focus on our mission," Van cut in before Snuff could vent his feelings. "Let's go out and test the fencing pods. While we do so, you can all complain about the fabulous titles my parents scraped up for you."

"Oh, uhm... the title's fine!" Snuff protested as they all left the conference room.

Van bit back a smirk, leading the team out of the house into the back woods. "So who's the lucky one of us that is getting fenced in?"

"I feel like telling you would defeat the purpose of the test," Bug chipped in. "Only I know who is registered in the pods, so it's in Zoey's best interest for all of us to be on high alert. We'll know that they're working when one of us can no longer continue forward."

That sounds suspiciously like he's going to enjoy whoever gets fenced in, Van's wolf grumbled. If it's not you, then it might as well be all of you.

"Well, I guess I'm the lucky one," Snuff announced.

Van glanced over his shoulder to find Snuff standing still with his arms crossed like an annoyed child. Stitch let out a chuckle and took a few steps forward before stopping short.