Till I Collapse

Christan POV
"You know you don't have to keep checking up on me. I'll be fine Zenko, I'm already walking again," I tell her while she sits on my couch petting her cat Tama. "And why'd you bring your pet cat with you? Animals haven't been the friendliest to me." I told her as the cat then stretched. "She's pregnant Christan and I don't want to miss it. We had a close call the other day. But that was just a hairball," she said holding Tama up to show me she was indeed pregnant. "And why can't I come to check on you? You're hurt and it's because you were trying to protect me. It's the family motto to always repay debts. At least that's what Brother Bad tells me." She said as I slowly made my way over to the couch and sat down beside her but purposely away from Tama. 'It's not that I hate being checked out on, it's the fact that it's a kid. But I can't tell HER that. She'll really give it to me.' I thought to myself with a worried look on my face. "Is he at the Hero Association Headquarters again?" I asked her. "Yeah, he mumbled something about monsters and ran off in a hurry. It's really annoying sometimes," she said which made me think if she yells at Bad the way she does me. "Oh, he also said something over the phone last night, when he was talking to his bosses. Something about you and dragons. Do they think you're a dragon somethin'?" She asked me, looking confused as she mimicked a dragon breathing fire. 

'Dragon, huh. So that's it.' I thought as I explained it to her. "No, they don't think I'm a dragon. They labeled me as a dragon-level threat. It's something the association uses to determine how dangerous a monster is. There are five different threat levels. It starts from lowest to highest, from Wolf to Tiger, Demon, Dragon, and finally God," I told her which she seemed to understand. "But for now I'll just explain the dragon one. A dragon-level threat is a label they use on monsters that endangers multiple cities. Like Tanya." I finished explaining to her as she continued to pet Tama. "But you're nothing like that mean lady. You're not a monster like her. Even if no one else sees as a hero, just know I know your a hero." She said. 'While I appreciate the sentiment, it doesn't change how I'm seen.' I thought before I let out a sigh. "Thanks, Zenko. I appreciate it," I say as I lean my head back looking at the ceiling. "It's just that I get talked about by a lot of people. Both good and bad. But while critics are critics, nothing else matters to me but the respect of my peers." I told her before closing my eyes. "Your peers. You mean like Brother Bad and the other heroes, right?" I just gave her a curt nod before she continued. 

"Well he won't tell you but Brother Bad does respect you. He says you're tough and powerful," she said which made me smile a little. "Though he also said you're a stubborn big mouth that he wants to beat up. But don't worry, this time I'll protect you from mean old stupid Brother Bad." She said which made my smile disappear and get replaced by a slightly let down expression. "Uhh, thanks, I guess," I said, going to put my hand on Zenkos head but as my hand was about to make contact Tama suddenly you leaped up and scratched my hand causing me to bleed. I winced in pain as I pulled my hand back. "No, bad Tama. Christan is a friend. No scratching," She chastised the cat as it just hopped off the couch without looking back. "Sorry Christan. She is usually a lot nicer to people." She told me as I wrapped my bleeding hand in some bandages I had leftover "Yeah, yeah, It's fine. But I tried to warn you. They don't like me and I don't just mean Tama." I told her as I finished tapping myself. 

But then suddenly I felt something weird. Like I could sense multiple things surrounding us. 'Six of them.' It was coming from outside. "Zenko, stay inside for a bit. I gotta check something out front." I told as I put on a black compression shirt, grunting and groaning as I put it over my bandages. She looked confused at first before she then quickly got up. "Oh no, no, no! I know that look. You're gonna go fight some monsters ain'tcha? You're in no condition to be fighting. Don't be stupid. You'll get hurt again. So why are ya still going out there?" She told me. I let out a sigh as I turned back to face her. "Cause sometimes when you just feel tired, you feel weak but when I feel weak I feel like I want to just give up," I then grabbed hold of the door handle. "But I always gotta search within myself, I gotta find that inner strength. I just pull that out of me and get that motivation to not give up to not be a quitter, a failure, no matter how bad I want to just fall flat on my face and collapse." She looked dumbfounded by my explanation so I just smiled at her. "Just stay inside Zenko," I told her before I then opened the door to be greeted by six humanoid monsters.