Chapter 2

(MAYA)

May 15, 2027:

It was an alluring morning in Itaewon. Every day, the sun rays unwrap a new set of hues for this great blue marble, bringing with them heavenly beauty.

The kind of beauty only mother nature posses.

The smell of freshly brewed coffee enveloped the Starbucks Café, filling every bit of wood and window. Since it is located on the main street, the café features a beautiful sunrise view too. For all the eyes squint in despair as the sun rays rush to shine proudly upon the silverware and glasses.

Faint noises from the busy road can be heard throughout the day, so one can't get irritated by them. In hindsight, it was the ideal location for me.

I lost myself in the infinite homework assigned two days ago by my lecturers, sitting at one of the tables for two in a corner.

As we grow older, the burden of assignments and homework grows heavier. It doesn't stop at schools or universities; it goes on in the name of responsibilities and responsibility until the day we die. Like a never-ending game of snow bowling.

But, thanks to the nourishment of my favorite Hot Chocolate Chip, Caramel-topped Cappuccinooooo, I've been able to spend my day doing whatever I wanted, at any moment.

I've just been at Seoul National University in South Korea for two months and I've already gotten myself into a slew of tasks that must be turned in by the end of the month. *heaps of sighs* However, the much-anticipated summer vacation is just around the horizon!

Isn't it possible that I'm a little too enthusiastic? Yes, it's highly possible because visiting Korea has long been on my bucket list, and this year has given me the opportunity to do it while still pursuing my academics. Isn't it incredible?

To give you a quick rundown, Seoul National University is one of South Korea's medical institutions, and I was accepted into the student exchange program for a year.

When I was selected here, I was quite dismayed considering Korea wasn't my main striker. So, I didn't have much anticipation of this acceptance.

I wasn't quite sure if I was delighted to learn from a different perspective or if I was attempting to get away from my nightmare-ish past when I started this adventure; either way, I'm pleased I made it here.

So, as I previously mentioned, I started to work on the pile of assignments while wearing my headphones. There's just something about headphones that has the power to transcend me to another reality. Bringing me to a whole new world in which I can experience serenity and comfort.

I kept grinning at myself every time I improved my understanding of the Korean lyrics and felt proud of my progress while my fingers proceeded to dash off on the keyboard.

I've spent practically every weekend at the same café, so it's no surprise that the cashier remembers my name and even my customary drink. After a few visits, he became my friend too. His name is Joshua Hong, a half Korean, half American.

Joshua. Uhm... well, you know how these mixed genes look right? Unbelievably attractive! A tall, fit man with sharp features and hazel-green eyes, who is always well-dressed, has an adorable puppy smile and is also well-mannered. Not to mention the subtle flirting he engages in every now and then. *eye roll*

I couldn't quite understand why a man with such a lovely face would want to work in a café, especially when he seemed to be wealthy.

As intrigued as I was, I kept my dumb inquiries to myself until Joshua approached me after his shift ended last week. He stared at me for at least a few seconds before receiving permission to sit with me.

"Hey, Joshua, what's the matter? Everything's alright? Is there anything on my face about which I should be concerned?"

"Not at all, dear lady. I've been seeing you here every weekend, and if it matters, I think I've gotten closer to you than anyone else in this café or in the country. Even if I only have a few moments of interaction with my customers, the majority of them will undoubtedly inquire about my background and other details because they recognize my face, name, and occupation that doesn't quite match. So I was, and still am, curious as to why you haven't asked me any questions."

A faint giggle escaped my lips.

"Well, I know this is hard to believe, but I've been meaning to ask you a million questions myself, but, out of respect for your privacy, Joshua, I've kept it to myself. I'm sure you'd have been bombarded with the same questions over and over. So I don't want to upset you, nor do I want you to think that I'm stalking you or anything."

After hearing my remark, he laughed hysterically that the customers at the other tables took a few seconds to get back to their conversations. He turned back to face me after apologizing to them politely while still giggling uncontrollably.

That night, we spent hours talking about each other.

Joshua, by the way, is a final-year arts student who only works part-time here. Because of his social upbringing and society's opinion of the rich-people lifestyle, he does not want to rely on his parents' riches. That pushed him to strive for greater heights than his parents' wealth and success.

See, I knew he was rich.

We've been more at ease with each other since that chat. We've become best buddies if that is indeed the right description. So, that's Joshua for all of you. A tall, handsome, kind, witty, and friendly Korean buddy of mine.

Returning to the plot now, I was working on a fascinating subject about surgery today and entirely lost track of time. Apart from these assignments, I had a few things to wrap up this weekend, so I began packing all of my belongings as soon as I checked the time.

Just as I was about to walk out the door, Joshua called out to me.

"Hey, Maya. Apologies for the trouble, love."

He looked like he was contemplating his entire existence right now. Oh, and did I mention that he flirts a little as well? Not in a perverse way. It's more of a friendly annoyance. I mean, I'm not sure why he'd be drawn to someone like me.

"No, it's fine, Joshua. What is it?"

I rolled my eyes, signaling that he should say what he wanted to say, as he flashed his most innocent smile.

"Wait a damn minute. Did you just refer to me as Joshua yet again? Maya! This is something we've talked about. Is it too much trouble for you to just call me Shua? I'd feel more at ease hearing that from you because you're my closest friend and you know that. Now go ahead and try again!" Joshua sneered.

"Okay, Okay! I'm really sorry, Joshua. I mean Shua. I'm not used to it yet, but from now on, I'll correct it consciously, okay?" I smiled brightly at him, flashing all of my teeth in hope that it would calm him down.

"You better young lady."

"So, Shua, what did you want to say?" I smirked as I uttered his nickname, this time without missing it.

.

.

.

..........continue reading chapter 2 on the next page..........