Chapter 6 (Part Three)

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Your father is one of the best cops I know. We are his friends. It's sad that he quit being a policeman. But it's worth the sacrifice. So how are your parents?" Yoonjoo ask him as they waited for their order to arrive.

"My father manages his small business in Seoul. My mother stays with me in Daegu." Taehyung politely answered her.

"So what brings him here? Is he a new recruit, PD?" Yoonjoo asked Mr. Bang.

"No. I'm just helping him to find his friend. He'd been missing for a year." Mr. Bang replied.

"You can just bring him to the precinct and ask him there, then why here?"

"I just want him to taste your Jjajangmyeon. I just wanna brag about it. But you know me too well, Yoonjoo." Bang answered looking at him warily.

Their orders arrived and enjoyed the food.

"Thank you Ahjumma. This is the best Jjajangmyeon that I've tasted." Taehyung smiled to her and she smiled back.

"Don't worry. You can eat it often, I assure you." Yoonjoo answered looking at Mr. Bang.

"Ahjumma, I'm staying at Daegu, pretty far from here. But I promise, I will come back here if I have free time."

"Thank you Taehyung. And good luck with finding your friend. Mr. Bang here is the best Sherlock in town." Yoonjoo winked and waved goodbye.

Taehyung and Mr. Bang went to the back door of the noodle shop. He didn't ask why but he became curious. There is a house behind the noodle shop. There is a dark corridor and a steel door with a sensor. Mr. Bang entered his fingerprint and the door opened.

Taehyung was amazed. The place looks like the secret hideouts in movies. There are at least 6 computers on the far corner and a single couch on the center. There is a table and a glass board.

"Welcome to my crib, Taehyung. This is Esmeraldo."

They sat at the center couch and Taehyung nervously scanned the room.

"This is awesome!"

"Can you show me all the things related to Kim Seokjin? Let's start from there." Mr. Bang pressed a button on the side table and a computer surfaced on the table.

"Wow, that's cool Ahjussi." Taehyung was really fascinated

"That's only one of the perks here in Esmeraldo." Bang smiled boastfully at Taehyung. He will try his best to convince him to join the work force.

Taehyung opened his bag. Unfortunately, he can only bring this much.

"These are photos of Jin and his parents. They all disappeared all of a sudden. The last time that we had talked, his parents went to Busan for some business matters. But they never came back, including Jin. I even went to his school, but I haven't seen him. If he finished his studies, he already graduated with Bachelor's degree in Chemistry. I have no idea what happened. I even asked the nearby hospitals. I even buy the local newspapers to look for the Obituary notices, but I found nothing."

"This guy seems to be a special friend."

"Yes Ahjussi. He meant the world to me." Taehyung's voice cracked as he tried to control his tears but he failed.

"What if he went overseas? Or what if he's dead? I mean, to disappear without a trace."

"I can feel he is still alive Ahjussi. I just need to find him. I know you can help me."

"I will try my best son. Have you tried asking his close friends?"

"I only know a few but they can't answer me directly. All they said to me was to forget him and move on. But there are rumors that I had heard. That his parents were killed by a notorious gang."

"I'll try to put his photos on all precincts here in Seoul and nearby cities. If he vanished all of a sudden, there's a big reason behind it. And if a gang was involved here, it is much better to investigate privately. Gangsters are dangerous people. They can escape easily through illegal connections. I will start looking for him tomorrow."

---

Searching for Jin is not an easy feat. A year had passed by but they still couldn't find him. Taehyung almost lost his hope to find him. But he won't stop. He can feel that he is still alive.

One cold spring night, Taehyung meets Bang on Esmeraldo.

"Taehyung, I'm really sorry that we couldn't find him. Sometimes, I feel incompetent. My Sherlock skills had been tested with his case."

"I'm really thankful for your help Ahjussi."

"I will resort to another tactics this time."

"What do you mean?"

"We already checked the overseas flights but still we can't sort it, out of thousand flights with "Kim Seokjin" on board. I think he's still here in South Korea but with a different name or persona."

"But why can't we find him? Sometimes I get tired Ahjussi. But I promised myself to search for him, no matter the result is. And these silly thoughts started to bother me these past few days."

"What is it?"

"How long does it take for me to join the police department?"

"What do you mean by that, Taehyungie?'

"I will join the workforce. I will find Jin myself."

"You're kidding right? You're still studying a different degree and your father might not let you to become a policeman just like him."

"I already talked to him. I said that I will still pursue engineering while having my training as a cop. He allowed me as long as I can handle the pressure."

"What if he is hiding from you? I mean we cannot find a person who doesn't want to be found after all."

"I still need answers Ahjussi. He won't abandon me just like that."

"Okay, first thing first. You will enroll in the police academe while finishing your engineering degree. This is a tough work son. Think of the physical and mental pressures pertaining to it."

"All these years, I've been floating in the abyss. But maybe if I will be more equipped, it will be easier for me to find him."

"You love him that much?"

"I would give him the world if he wanted to. I missed him so much, Ahjussi. I'm desperate. I will do everything just to find him."

"Don't worry Taehyungie, I will help you in your battle. You will find your heart's desire in due time."

---

Taehyung finished his engineering degree after a year while being enrolled in the police academe. His father even gave him a small car shop to start with but he declined. He told him that he will just apply for a part time job on his own.

His father refused at first but then he realized that he is also under training in the academe. As a policeman himself, his father is so proud of him. His dream of Taehyung becoming a policeman will finally come true.

Sometimes, he wanted him to quit, but he was proud of his determination. He never heard him complain. He excels in class according to Bang. Because of his high grades, he will be able to finish it in two years.

Sometimes, he wanted to blame Jin for all Taehyung's miseries. But Jin made his son tough. Jin is his happiness. He really wished that they might be able to find him, to end all his hardships.

---

He always watched him from afar. Jin was very proud of Taehyung. He is now an engineer. Taehyung can now finally fulfill his dreams. Taehyung remained strong despite of his absence in his life. Maybe Taehyung is better off without him in his life. He just wished for Taehyung's happiness and he hoped that he will find a person who will love and take care of him; do the things that he wanted to do, because he knows that he didn't have the right.

Jin just knew that Taehyung will be better off without him, for good.