Chapter 24 : The Visible Air

Start from the beginning

"Hey! But this year...XYU Moon seems super popular."

"Hmm? XYU? The new private university? They also have a candidate this year?"

"Of course! He's so damn hot. So damn cool! He is already a famous idol too."

I enjoyed listening to my friends talking and also learning some information for the contest too. I found that most people seemed to be interested in the Moon candidates from the universities which already had UNISTAR members such as QU, ZU or XU like me. In contests like this, the big universities with plenty of students and alumni would have an added advantage, as some people weren't interested in UNISTAR, but they just wanted to cheer for their own university.

The only way to know who would be the top candidates was the number of likes and comments on Facebook pages and websites. I saw many people cheering for me. However, the most outstanding among all candidates seemed to be these two: First, 'Oat', the QU Moon from the Faculty of Engineering, he was very talented at playing drums. And second, he was from an unfamiliar university, but he seemed to exceed any other candidates. His name was 'Sun' from XYU.

I took a look at his IG and Twitter and saw that he had hundreds of thousands of followers. He was the most likely to win. Very good-looking and famous. He was a mixed race person. His mother was Thai, and his father was half-Chinese and half-English. His Thai name was 'Suriyaphat Leng' but his Chinese name was 'Leng Canxi'. He had grown up overseas and later joined an International middle school in Thailand.

The reason why Sun was very popular was because he had participated in a TV program called 'School-Ace', which was aired on MWTV. It was a male idol group survival show. Some people also dubbed the show as 'UNISTAR Junior' because their theme was quite similar to UNISTAR. Each school would send a candidate for the contest and there was a voting system, but the candidates would be limited only to middle or high school students. Sun was the most popular candidate in this program until he graduated from high school. So he became the most famous former member of School-Ace. And now, he has joined the UNISTAR contest as well. During the School-Ace program, he had always received the highest voted score. And now, it's no wonder that in the UNISTAR contest, he was the favourite candidate to win.

I couldn't wait for the results as I was very curious to find out who would become the 9 finalists. Mr. Chana seemed confident that I would be on the list. However, I couldn't be assured that I would win and become a UNISTAR. Like I mentioned before, we shouldn't underestimate the other candidates this year.

After all the midterm exams were over, I had some time to rest. I heard P'Wun had also finished her exams. It was common to visit my family after not seeing them for a few months. We would eat together and spend time as a family. We might dine out, go to the beach for a seafood meal, or go to a hotel for fine dining, or sometimes just have a simple meal at home.

At first, I was hesitant about whether I should do my makeup or not, but I was afraid that my parents couldn't recognise me. Even P'Wun didn't recognise me with makeup. So I decided to go home as the usual Win — the fading air.

I packed some stuff, planning to stay at home for two nights. I took a taxi back home, but nobody was there when I arrived. I went to my bedroom on the second floor. I hadn't visited home for more than a month, but my room was still the same as it used to be.

"Win! Where are you? Win! Did you just come back?"

I flinched as I heard the high-pitch sound from P'Wun. She was calling me. I was surprised, as I was usually unnoticeable. Sometimes they also forgot that I was at home too.

"Yes, P'Wun?" I left my room and found P'Wun looking for me.

"Win! Win! Where are you?" P'Wun was looking around, and somehow still didn't see me.