Chapter 21: Fighting the Darkness

Start from the beginning

This might sound extremely OP and all, but right now, it has a major flaw that if known, anyone can exploit: I can only take so much. That Z-Move... surprisingly, it took a good chuck outta me. Thinking about the other things this bond is good for, maybe it's way too OP... not like I was planning on using it on a day-to-day basis, anyway...

"Hariyama is unable to battle." Hapu declaimed as Hala was already off the platform, Nanu making his way up. I wasn't worried about him what-so-ever. I mean, what kind of things can he say to get under my skin? Even before I came here, only a very few amount of things would actually piss me off enough. The main two were actually impossible: something of mine being broken by another and someone spoiling any sort of Pokémon-related stuff I didn't already know about.

Kahuna Hala seemed to become the ref again, which helped a lot. I know his calls will always be fair. Neither I or the Dark-type specialist with his... Krookodile? Greninja's attack power went down by one. Right... Intimidate. But still: I thought he would use his Alolan Persian...

"Surprised, little missy?" He asked in his normal, lazy tone. "I'm sure you noticed not all of us are using our Z-Moves for one reason of another."

"Yeah, I noticed." I was surprised, but not bothered. If anything, I was having more of a hard time trying to remember what types of moves that Pokémon had. I barely remember Ash's Grand Trial here and all I remember about his first encounter with this Pokémon was that Lycanroc... wasn't in the best state of mind when dirty. I took a quick look over at the sidelines... and a LOT MORE of his Pokémon were out of their Pokeballs, watching. Lycanroc, on the other hand, was trying to build a sand castle with Sobble. It was VERY DIRTY at this point.

'Yuki,' Greninja spoke using our connection, 'What's the plan?'

I looked calmly at the Pokémon and trainer, who have also yet to make a move. 'Let's see what they do first. Dodge whatever it is.'

'Whatever it is...?'

'I really don't remember what this Pokémon has. The only thing I feel sure of would be Crunch, but I'm sure Na-'

"Sand Tomb."

The both of us heard this, barely dodging the giant, gaping, sand hole forming in the ground. I noticed a pillar still within the boundaries of the field, which was seen from my eyesight. Greninja quickly hopped on top of it.

"I see. So this is that Bond Phenomenon Ash was, at one point, able to do..." Nanu spoke again, seeming ready to try and get a bad reaction from me. "I heard his was more focused on attacking then being scared to make a move."

"It's all calculated, Nanu." I replied calmly. I'm starting to question what his tactic really is for me, because I'm sure he noticed by now that I'll go for a hit when I see it.

"Sure it is." That voice, still unchanged. Neither of us made another move, until the swirling vortex of sand disappeared and the Dark/Ground Type decided to make his way forward.

'Should we go with a physical or special attack, Greninja?' I asked. 'I honestly don't know if we should go head first or attack from a distance.'

'Shouldn't we use our +5 attack to our advantage?'

'...You're right.' Why was I worried about that?  'Power-up Punch; aim for one of the arms.'

Greninja jumped from the pillar with a single webbed hand, powered up. He made contact and the Pokémon was, for sure, phased by it. The question is, why didn't Nanu say anyth-OH NO.

Looking at Nanu's face, he could tell I realized a second too late. "Counter."

Even for Greninja and his + 6 evasiveness, dodging a Counter is not easy. Especially since despite how well we're doing right now, we haven't fully mastered this bond. It does actually slow him down, just a tad.

It seemed like they too planned this since before the battle. Krookodile even seemed like he was ready to strike the moment the words were spoken. Greninja was quickly grabbed and thrown towards that one pillar we found some safety with.

I began gasping for air, feeling a good amount of that hit. Greninja, however, took more of the damage, but seeming less phased. (Well, he IS a Pokémon after all.) Once I could no longer take the damage unscathed, I felt the connection forcefully cut short. I'm sure that was Greninja's doing, because I would of kept going, just a tad longer.

'You're just like Ash.' Greninja said as he got up from his hard hit. 'You weren't taking your own safety into consideration.'

"At least I'm not jumping off buildings." I laughed a little as I coughed.

I heard the sound of a Pokeball drawing its Pokémon back in. Nanu was walking away. Why...?

"Nanu has forfeited." Kahuna Hala quickly stated, ensuring I understood it had nothing to do with me.

As he walked off the platform, I gave him the biggest confused glance. "...Why? Isn't this my Grand Trial?!"

"It's because it's your Grand Trial." Were his final words before a Midday form Lycanroc took the field, along with the rock-type specialist, Olivia.

I didn't understand his point what-so-ever, but I'm sure I would find out soon.