Chapter 12 | Unwelcome

Start from the beginning

He knew from memory, that he was currently walking down the main road, yet the ground beneath his paws was furrowed and torn – as though some great claw had slashed across the skin of the earth, splitting it open like a ripe fruit.

The Elves of Elysian were forest dwelling creatures, and their magic was cultivated from the wax and wane of natural life. Their houses were built inside the trees – where they used magic to swell the great trunks into distorted, bulb like shapes – before hollowing out the inside and creating their homes within.

Now these same trees lay flattened on the ground, as though an enormous foot had descended down and trodden them into the dirt. Their branches were split, the round homes inside burst like popped seed pods, their contents scattered haphazardly across the earth in front of him.

He heard the sound of his lycans spreading out as they searched for any sign of life – but what they were looking for, Darius had noticed immediately.

There are no dead Elves, he relayed to his men, scenting the air again – just to make sure. Around him, his pack of lycans mimicked the motion, their silver snouts tipped to the sky.

This of course, could only mean that the Queen had evacuated the city before whatever it was that had done this, had arrived. Initially, Darius had thought it to be a shifter attack. Part of him was still convinced of this – he picked up signs of shifter rampage as he made his way through the ruins – but they could not have done it alone.

Suddenly, there was communication from the group he had sent south of the border.

Majesty, we have picked up the scent of shifters, they are heading north – in your direction.

As he had suspected. Darius turned in the direction of the southern group, his pointed ears pricking forwards as he listened intently. Sure enough, he thought he could hear sounds of discontent from within the forest.

Follow them, he ordered, but wait for me. I will come soon – we are almost finished here.

Yes, Majesty.

And then from the first group he had sent out – the scouting party, came news that he had not anticipated.

My King, we have found ... that is to say- There was a pause, and then – Erizha is dead, my Lord.

What? Darius snarled, his eyes narrowing, And his horn?

Removed, my Lord.

Darius cursed internally. Well, that would explain a lot.

Erizha, was a unicorn – and he had lived in his last form already, since before Darius had ascended the Lycan Throne. Unicorns were a magical existence, and even Darius – for all of his brutality – could acknowledge that there were some beings that you just did not harm.

There was only ever one of the creatures alive on the Earth at one time – or so he had been told – and when they died, their soul returned to the soil, to seek out a fallen star. It was from this star, that the next unicorn would be born, the location of its rebirth left to chance. If no star existed on the earth at the time of the unicorn's death, then the soul would simply await the next one.

There was an old folk tale, with Darius was not unfamiliar, that wherever a Unicorn appeared, it would bring good fortune to those who lived off the land alongside it. However, if the creature was to die, then the surrounding earth would become cursed.

Looking around at the devastation that surrounded him, Darius could almost believe that last part.

Quickly, he commanded, search the rest of the area up to the palace. Then we will re-join the others.