🍁 Chapter 42

Ah. I leaned on the couch as much as I could. I was trying to increase the distance that I had subconsciously closed between me and the prince.

At some point, I completely forgot the feelings that disturbed me before.

“It’s nothing. Drink more tea. Madame DeJoue prepared it for us, and it smells nice.”

Julien poured me a cup and handed it to me. Warm steam came rising up.

I took a sip.

“Ah… It’s nice."

I felt my suddenly taxed muscles begin to relax. It was different from the iced tea that Madame DeJoue gave me earlier.

My body went slack. I ignored Julien as he rested his chin on his hand and laughed. However, my peace did not last long.

Phew. Everything was so busy right from the morning.

“Lady Sharon! It’s your turn now!”

Madame Berna returned to the parlor as Madame DeJoue called for me and ushered me away.

“Your ladyship should also dress up now.”

I said that I was pretty even if I didn’t…

The prince lightly waved his hand at me.

“Go and make yourself pretty.”

I obediently turned my head. It would be better to spend time in front of a mirror than in front of a prince who kept treating me weirdly!

***

"Why are you here?!"

Carol asked Julien, who had come to join us for breakfast.

Was it a question or was it bullying?

I wasn’t sure.

The terrace where we were having our meal was covered in glass windows, so the cold morning wind fortunately did not come in.

“To escort.”

Carol folded her arms and widened her eyes, finally eliciting a reaction from the prince.

"Ehh?"

She must have been glad that he came to pick her up. I smiled happily.

At the same time, I pressed down the strange thumping in my heart.

Was it heart disease?

The prince popped the yolk of a runny fried egg.

“The imperial household is too noisy, and my many stepmothers are visiting the empress’s palace for a sit-in. Arguing whether it’s reasonable to spend so much money for the crown prince’s birthday,

saying that renting Levina Hall is too much."

Carol became heated by Julien’s calm tone.

"Huh? Look at them saying whatever they want since it’s not their kid. And there’s no way that the imperial family can’t spare this much money!”

Carol’s words weren’t wrong. Renting Levina Hall for the crown prince’s 15th birthday was not a big problem. 

They just didn’t like it that Julien’s status would rise.

“Hey, eat more food. They’re being so hard on your birthday. How sad.”

Carol maturely consoled Julien.