🍁 Chapter 33

Carol didn’t open her eyes until noon, a long time after Madame DeJoue visited and went back in the morning.

Overnight, she developed a fever and threw up, and the child had passed out.

Once the doctor came and gave her some medicine, her breathing eventually seemed to ease.

“Haa…"

I closed the book I was reading.

All this time, I had desperately tried to prevent Carol from coming across the Duchess.

As a result, it seemed that Carol was in shock at her mother’s cruelty.

Whatever she was dreaming of, it was making her cry constantly. I stroked Carol’s pale cheek.

“Sissy…”

It was Carol’s nickname.

It was a nickname I used for Carol only when she did something kind or acted cute. 

I could call her that a thousand times, ten thousand times now. I just wanted her to open her eyes.

The Duchess would be arrested soon, but I wanted to talk with Carol before then.

If she wanted to continue seeing her mother. Or if she wanted to live like her mother had never existed.

“Sissy… Open your eyes…”

Unfortunately, she had to make a decision now.

The things that rolled into motion after Carol fainted yesterday morning were not things I could delay. 

I had to move before the Duchess could cover up the incident.

Fortunately, Madame DeJoue was quick. Thanks to her competence, I was able to be a step ahead of the Duchess again.

“Sissy…”

Did my prayers go through? Carol’s eyelid trembled faintly.

“Sharon…?”

I sat close to Carol, who was still red with fever.

"Yeah. Sissy. I’m here."

Carol gave a radiant smile at my response.

"I thought… You might not be here… So I was afraid to open my eyes.”

Carol’s eyes glistened with tears. I gently cupped her cheek.

"Stop crying. You still have a fever.”

“Sharon… The maid died, right?”

“……”

There are times when silence is a more weighted answer than anything one could say.

That time was now.

Carol quietly closed her eyes.

She had seen something so terrible at such a young age.

I felt glad that I had entered this novel. At least I could comfort Carol like this.

“I know it’s not a good time now, but Carol… I have something to ask…”

"Sob… Sharon, I… I hate my mother. I heard it all… What you talked about with Madame DeJoue.”

I didn’t want to be away from Carol, so we had talked here… I guess she heard it.

I silently brushed Carol’s hair back.

“I can live without seeing her. I don’t want to see her. But Sharon, will you stay by my side? Sharon, you’re my only family. Okay? Will you stay?”