🍁 Chapter 17

“Julien knew that we had people watching him.”

“Of course he did. He lives under such scrutiny every day, and he’s very quick-witted.”

“Ah…”

I felt a bit disconcerted at the moment.

“…That’s not just speculation. You’re certain of it,” I said.

Madame DeJoue smiled gently.

“I also know for certain that you’re not the same Lady Sharon as before.”

“That…”

I clicked my tongue.

It was as if we were one step closer to each other’s secrets.

“Shall we make a bet, miss? Who will figure out the other first?”

“…Sure.”

Madame DeJoue was someone who was actually from this world, so I had a good chance of winning.

“What shall we wager on?”

“Something classic would be good. Miss, how about we grant one wish?”
“No matter what we wish for?”
“Of course.”

…I feel like I’ve made a dangerous bet with the darkest and most opaque curtain in the world.

I gulped and nodded my head.

It’ll be okay as long as I win.

Let’s go!

***

It was nearly 11 p.m. when I returned home last night.

“Haaaa—m.” I yawned.

I couldn’t sleep, so I ended up reading a book that was as thick as my palm. Because of that, I was able to close my eyes as I saw the eastern sky.

What sort of light is that…

“Ugh… I’m sleepy.”

“…Sharon, you just woke up. You shouldn’t say that.”

“What did I do?”

Carol quietly gazed at the clock.

“You don’t know how to read the time.”

“But I know that you know what time it is right now. And I know that I’m eating dinner right now.”

Her words pierced me. I  ducked my head.

“You’re so clever, Carol!”

Despite my praise, Carol sighed. She was probably sulking because I left her alone all day. I felt tense, seeing how dejectedly she pushed around the salad on her plate.

“D- did something happen? While I was asleep?”

“Nothing happened. Just… I went to lessons alone and studied alone, so it was no fun.”

“Huh?”

“I was quite lonesome.”

…Recently, I feel like the kids were precocious in the way that they talked.

I gave a warning look to Madame DeJoue and Madame Berna, who were laughing at me from behind.

If Carol heard them laughing, Carol would be even more upset. And I would be the one who would have to deal with it.

“It was my fault. I made our puppy feel lonely.”

“My face was super swollen today that I couldn’t see anything in front of me…”