Chapter 10 - An Interesting Friend

Start from the beginning

The robot's metal arms gesticulated as a person would while talking. "Atop the walls sit exactly 2046 Plasma turrets, all fully automated and controlled by separate Virtual Intelligences, or VI."

Gabriel was familiar with VIs, having designed some himself. Gabriel appreciated the turrets in all their glory with his suit's visual magnification. Each matte gray turret was enormous, easily twenty meters in length. A single blast from one would be enough to vaporize a six-story building.

Soon, they neared the first ring of flags. The area was an empty circle of grass. "This is our customary transport pad. Here is where arrivals usually land, it seems Zero elected to bring you through the main gate, for impact, no doubt." The guide explained.

Gabriel had underestimated the robot. It wasn't just following simple programming. It knew the entrance he'd come in from. It had also extrapolated what Zero's intentions could have been from that fact. That meant it was likely AI.

The implications of true AI wandering freely within the confines of the Sentinel stronghold kept his mind busy until they neared the next ring. This one looked like a weapon testing range, craters, and singed grass were obvious clues.

"This is our live combat area. The zone is surrounded by an invisible reinforced wall, and the Sentinels used it for advanced combat testing - for generations before simulations became a better option."

Gabriel started to daydream about the simulations that replaced physical combat training. Grateful. Before he noticed, he outpaced the robot. He saw it standing on the path behind him. "This is the Ring of Remembrance." It said when he backtracked.

The Super looked out at this ring, not circled by flags but by flowers of every color. It was full of obelisks. Each one was made of white marble and covered in golden plaques. From where he stood, Gabriel could see that the plaques held the names of Supers who died in the line of duty.

The beauty he beheld was moving. He felt a tightening in his chest. How could the MechaBlitz have destroyed so much, so carelessly?

How long he stood there, he did not know, but his guide waited patiently at his side. Thinking he had lingered too long, Gabriel turned to catch up and bumped roughly into the robot.

As the mech fell - pinwheeling its arms to avoid losing balance - Gabriel reached out and caught one of them. Righting the robot, he said, "Sorry about that."

The Bot turned towards him and was silent for a time, gazing at the Super through its unreadable lense. Gabriel was worried he had offended the machine when it said, "Thank you for the help, Gabriel, and the apology. No one has ever apologized to this unit."

It went silent, then turned down the path. "We must continue with the tour, and I have other duties to attend...friend." It said the word as if trying it on for size, but rolled onwards at a good pace.

Perplexed but hopeful that he indeed had made a new friend, Gabriel jogged after it.

The final ring was exactly what Gabriel first assumed, an obstacle course. The words didn't seem to do it justice. Gabriel saw machines meant to do nothing but destroy or throw objects all around the zone. Lasers, meat grinders, and saws littered the area. An old decommissioned Battle Bot stood in the center, surrounded by smaller Bots. that technology hadn't been used in decades.

"The obstacle course changes shape and obstacles each time it is used, according to the wishes of the Mentor in charge of each team. However, it has long been replaced by virtual training, which has proven to be more effective."

The tour around the grounds had taken about an hour, but they finished the entire loop and the robot led him back inside the dorm building.

Once inside, the AI said, "Your room is number 13 here on the first floor. It's where we always put the new live-ins. The mess hall is on the top floor. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me." The robot transmitted the door code and its contact information to Gabriel's wristpad and sped off without even waiting for a farewell.

Gabriel walked to his room, anxious for a chance to start training with the Sentinels, and awed by what he saw that day. He was ready to dive into the files regarding his new teammates. He passed room after room until he came upon the door marked 13 Close to the end of the hall.

Entering the room, his wristpad beeping, he looked around at his newfound residence. It was luxurious, a large sitting room flanked by a fireplace with a marble table and bamboo divider between it and the bedroom - with a king-sized bed that looked likely to swallow him if he wasn't careful.

He had a full-size bathroom with an elegant walk-in shower as well, the kind with multiple nozzles. He set removed his armor and flight suit and laid on his bed, willing himself to relax.

He tapped three times on his wristpad and the pieces on the floor floated up, and rearranged themselves back together.

Gabriel liked how easy it was to set his suit into sentry mode. The exo-skeleton was a security mech that would only answer to him. Now, would let him relax and focus on his reading in peace. The orbital cannon fired again, shaking the room and reminding him of the dangers that lay outside, floating in space.

Settling into the long blue sofa, Gabriel set to reading about the other members of his Strike Force.