"I'm guessing you didn't tell her that the walk was with me."

David shook his head. "No. No, of course not."

Mary Margaret frowned. "Why is that our default? Lying?"

"Because I don't-"

"We're not being honest. I know it's hard, but we have to tell her the truth about everything -- about us."

"I don't know if I can."

"You have to. If we can't be honest with other people, how can we be honest with each other?"

"Is it really the best plan?"

"What's your plan? Moving to Boston?"

"No."

"The only way no one gets hurt here, is if we don't want to be together. Is that what you want?"

"No."

"Well, then we have to stop hiding and do something. It's better she hears it from you than from someone else. You have to make a choice. Jackie already found out, but I don't think she'll tell anyone."

"I choose you."

"Then, it's time to tell Kathryn."

---

August's motorcycle was parked outside Granny's Diner. Emma arrived at the same time he was leaving.

"I've been meaning to bump into you," August said. "Matter of fact, I was hoping we might grab that drink you promised."

"Is that you asking me out?" Emma asked.

"Well, if putting a label on it makes you more comfortable, sure. Let's call it a date."

"I thought you came here to write -- find inspiration."

"I'm optimistic about our date."

"See, I have a policy -- I won't go out with guys who won't tell me their names. I find it weeds out the ones who like to keep secrets, like they're already married or they store body parts in their freezer. It was nice talking to you." She walked past him to enter the diner.

"It's August. August W. Booth."

"Really? With the middle initial?"

"W's for Wayne. So, there goes your reason for not meeting me here after work."

Emma entered the diner, shortly followed by Jackie, to find Mary Margaret waiting.

"Who was that?" Mary Margaret asked.

"I don't know yet," Emma replied.

"Yet? So, you're going to find out?"

"It's nothing."

"Nothing with you means something. Because if it were nothing, we wouldn't be talking about it."

"I'm sorry -- I thought you called me and Jackie here to talk about you?"

"Yeah, but talking about you is easier right now."

"What is it? What's going on?"

They lowered their voices to a whisper and Mary Margaret said, "Remember when you told me to stay away from David and I agreed?"

"Yes."

"I didn't."

Emma nodded. "Yeah, I know."

Jackie crossed her arms. "I'm aware, lass."

Mary Margaret's eyes widened. "You do? How?"

"Because I'm Sheriff, and you are a lovesick schoolteacher," Emma replied. "Covering your tracks is not exactly your strong suit."