.45. ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴀʀᴇʟʏ ᴍᴀᴋᴇs ɪᴛ

Start from the beginning

"Like a baby it would seem. I didn't even realize you were gone."

Jungkook sat up, rubbing his eyes and gasped at the large meal tray Taehyung placed on his laps. "I'm so glad I'm marrying you," he added fondly.

Buttering a toast, Taehyung smiled back. "You'd tell me if something was wrong, wouldn't you?"

Jungkook's sleepy eyes opened a tad wider. "Of course I would," he replied, mouth full of scrambled eggs. "What is this about?"

Taehyung stuffed a slice of bacon in the other's mouth. "Very crispy, just the way you like it."

But Jungkook took a hold of his hand. "Tae, what's on your mind?"

The shaky breath was not what either of them expected. "I've kept many things from you in the past. And I regret it." Taehyung's voice quivered.

"Hey, Tae bear. I know that. And it's fine. We're good now, right?"

The hands that cupped his face were so warm and so loving Taehyung thought for a moment he'd melt into the touch if they lingered too long. "We are. But please, Jungkook, don't hide things from me just because you feel like you have to shield me from them."

"Duly noted," Jungkook replied, beaming. "You know, I'd kiss you right now if it weren't for my coffee breath."

Deciding against pressing the matter, Taehyung returned to his playful self. "Well, I already brushed my teeth this morning so how about I do the kissing while you finish eating."

Breakfast ended up taking forever because the man seemed to find Jungkook's lips tastier than the Hörnchen on his plate, not to mention his scrumptious collarbones, which he would nibble at between two bites and three kisses.

"You're awfully affectionate today," Jungkook managed to utter, surrendering to Taehyung's tender loving care.

"Am I not always?"

"We've been apart so long I had forgotten," Jungkook admitted bashfully.

"Don't apologize, and let me spoil the man who willingly forfeited his life in order for me to survive."

"You would have done the same."

Taehyung supposed he would have and dived in for more snuggles, but his lips met a firm hand. "No hickeys, please."

"Why not?"

"As much as I'd love to cuddle all morning, it's my first time in Vienna and I don't want to roam the city with a scarf around my neck in the middle of summer."

"But I find your marked neck irresistible," Taehyung whined.

"Of that I am aware, and I still remember how mortified I was when Lizbeth noticed what you did to it on our first date."

Taehyung chuckled as he recalled their eventful flight. "Darling, I have a ring on my finger that says I'm yours. What do you have that shows the world whom you belong to?"

The reply was accompanied by a light shove. "Shouldn't I be the one asking that question?"

Looking away at the tray sitting on the bed, Taehyung played deaf. "Still hungry?"

"Not for food, no." The glint in Jungkook's eyes was most straightforward.

"Not even for dessert?"

The small silver plate covered with a shiny lid Taehyung was pointing at hinted at a rather fancy treat. Taking note of his fiance's hesitation, the man urged him to have "just one bite, see if you like it".

The ghost of a smirk on Taehyung's lips allowed Jungkook to make up his mind. "Fine," he muttered, lifting the lid to reveal a stunning black titanium ring with a sparkling diamond in its middle.

After a gasp that lasted a little too long for Taehyung who suddenly feared he'd chosen the wrong jewellery, the awestruck man finally regained his speech abilities. "Taehyung-ah, this is— beautiful."

"Allow me," Taehyung asked, almost shyly, as he picked up the bijou and held out his hand, an invitation for Jungkook to give him his. "It's not nearly as worthy of your finger as I would like it to be, but it will have to do until we get the wedding rings. In the meantime, please wear this as a reminder that you have a permanent home in my heart."

It was Jungkook's turn to pounce, all reservation regarding neck bruising long forgotten.

The day was gorgeous and the roses of the Belvedere gardens were as fragrant as ever. Sure, they were a few hours behind schedule but first of all, they were on vacation, which implied order of events and the like were meant to be disregarded. And second of all, the sharp collarbones sprinkled with purple specks had Taehyung muse over these colourful tokens of countless tender moments grounded in substance, tangible, and lasting.

Namjoon had been right. As always. The place was perfect for a casual date. They walked hand in hand toward the main entrance — which was unusually crowded — when Taehyung was reminded not to take anything for granted. His grip tightened and Jungkook did not even have to ask what was the matter for he, too, had spotted them. Several police officers were guarding the gate, preventing anyone from entering the building.

As they edged closer to the crowd, they overheard chatter regarding a robbery.

"I bet another painting was stolen," Jungkook mumbled.

"And I bet it's the one called Four Trees," Taehyung responded, earning a stare of disbelief.

"What makes you say that?"

The shrug was most telling. "Just a hunch."

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡