.12. ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴅᴀɴᴄᴇ

"Jungkook, what are you doing?"

"Don't mind me. I'm just going over these safety instructions one more time."

Taehyung stretched his arm across the table and pulled the leaflet out of the other's hands. "Read the menu instead and enjoy the view, like everyone else!"

The young inspector darted a glance at the bay window and promptly turned away, refocusing his gaze on the dashing young man he felt extremely lucky to be dating. Tae was looking down at the city below, which appeared as if it had been made for tiny dolls, seemingly having the time of his life. "Come on, Jungkook! You're missing out! We're currently flying over the Thames!"

"Trust me, Tae, I'm not missing out," he replied with a smirk, eyes taking in every detail of the other's grinning profile.

It's the smile that tells you all you need to know about someone.

Why did Stella's words suddenly pop up in his mind? He hadn't the slightest idea. But at that moment, he understood her tears as he imagined how tragic it would be if Tae was ever to lose his sweet beam. Taehyung, oblivious to the persistent stare, lost himself in peaceful contemplation.

The airship's engines were surprisingly quiet, thus the muted atmosphere of this unique airborne restaurant. However, the presence of a lively steamjazz band prevented the otherwise pompous ambiance from taking over, allowing for the brass instruments to give luncheon its tempo.

"So, how's work these days?" Taehyung asked casually as he sipped his liqueur.

"I'm working on this bizarre case—"

"Bizarre? How so?"

"Well, I have yet to identify the motives, let alone the crimes. It could be theft or it could just be some odd coincidences."

"Theft? What has gone missing?"

"That's the thing. I'm not sure yet. And at this point, I can't really elaborate because it's all still a whole lot of hypotheses and very few hard facts."

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

Tae took another sip and looked away at the sea of clouds that had stretched over the horizon, trying hard to appear at least slightly piqued about the other's secrecy. His act didn't go unnoticed. "It's not that I don't want to, it's just that there's not much to say at the moment."

Jungkook placed his hand on the table, palm up. "Tae, come on, give me your hand."

The other reluctantly complied. The detective gently squeezed the slender fingers.

"What are you doing?" asked his date, still a little miffed.

"Trying to make this date a success."

The sudden eruption of giggles had all the clients turned their heads, but Jungkook couldn't care less. He sighed, relieved. The ability to make Tae smile and laugh was something he hoped he'd never lose.

"You're going to have to try a lot harder than that," Taehyung finally managed to retort, after wiping a tear of hilarity.

"I know. I'm still working on the kissing part. If it wasn't for that table standing in my way—"

"Haven't you learned to work around obstacles?"

Faced with Jungkook's indecisiveness, he pointed at the dance floor where a few couples were already swinging. Fearing where this was heading, our young detective waved his finger. "Tae, I don't dance."

"Oh but you will."

"Why should I?"

"Because I want that kiss."

It didn't take much more convincing to get Jungkook to follow his partner who greeted the conductor with a nod. As if on cue, the band launched into a soft ballad. Tae casually wrapped his arms around his neck while Jungkook tentatively grabbed the other's slender waist. "How long is this ride anyway?" he asked, trying to ignore the patrons who were presently cooing over them because damn did they look good together.

"I believe it to last for about two hours. Why? Do you have to be somewhere?"

"No. I just told Lizbeth I wouldn't be that long."

That remark got him a small punch on the chest. "Hey mister Jeon! I cleared my whole schedule for this date! And you've just admitted you had planned for this to be just a quick lunch?!"

Despite his pout, Jungkook saw right through him. "You're not really offended, I can tell."

Tae made a moue and looked away just as the other was leaning in for a redemptive kiss. "You're not getting away with this one so easily, Kook."

That's when the blimp got sucked into an air pocket.

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡