.39. ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴛʜᴇʏ ғɪɴᴀʟʟʏ ʀᴇᴜɴɪᴛᴇ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ᴡᴇ'ᴠᴇ ᴅʀᴀɢɢᴇᴅ ᴛʜɪs ᴏᴜᴛ ʟᴏɴɢ ᴇɴᴏᴜɢʜ

Taehyung hadn't meant to fall off the dock, but now that he found himself underwater, he kind of wished he didn't have to go back up. Especially since it involved him having to face the fact that he was presently suffering from hallucinations. If you ask him, he would much prefer to stay below, where uncertainty and conviction dwelled in equal measure. Down here, he could either admit his brain cells had started to shut down due to lack of oxygen because of his last breath hold, or he could choose to believe he had actually seen Jeon Jungkook standing among the onlookers at the pier. Scenario A being the more likely one of the two, Taehyung was presently pursuing with his decision to avoid the surface which was bound to shatter his hopes that he still retained an ounce of sanity. He closed his eyes and let himself drown further, preferring once again to imagine that the arm which had wrapped itself around his waist was that of a mermaid and not some overzealous fisherman named Manuel coming to rescue him.

He tried to wriggle his way out of his protector's hold which only tightened.

Damn. That was one strong mermaid.

As soon as he reached the realm of breathable air (and common sense), he turned around to protest vehemently against Manuel's reasonable intervention, only to find out it wasn't Manuel who had saved him. "Jungkook?"

The black fringe had grown long, and the pale skin looked like it had finally got some colour, but the twinkle in the familiar dark orbs, which were now wide open, was unmistakable. He realized the other was just mirroring his shocked expression, likely due to his own incongruous demeanour. "Jungkook!" he said once more, only to receive a splash of water in response.

A reproving frown had appeared on the other's face. "You scared me witless, you know!"

Taehyung sensed something clench inside his chest. "For what it's worth, I thought you were dead for the past three months."

Jungkook looked away, wiping his eyes. "Well, I lived. And I believe you had too. Until I got here and hit a dead end because you weren't anywhere to be found."

Taehyung, still a little confused as to why they would be arguing at this very moment, felt overcome by the urge to hug the man in front of him. Except he needed his arms to stay afloat. So he did the next best thing. Swimming closer to Jungkook until their faces were inches apart, he leaned forward to give him a tentative kiss.

Loud cheers erupted above them.

Lost in their reunion, they had forgotten about the crowd which, from the sound of it, was very much enjoying the show. Except perhaps for Carina, whose eyes were glowing with something fierce. And Manuel, who looked rather conflicted.

No sooner had they set foot on the dock that all hell broke loose. Jungkook was harshly pinned to ground by a fuming Manuel while Taehyung was being dragged away by an equally furious Carina. "Who are you and what do you want?" yelled the fisherman, grip tightening around the young man's throat.

"Let him go, Manuel! What are you doing?" roared Taehyung who yanked his arm out of the girl's grasp. He tried rushing to his man's rescue only to find himself swarmed by a mob of screaming villagers who were evidently arguing over several issues, including the identity of l'uomo in rosa as they called him. Some were concerned by the fact that Angelo had kissed a mobster, while others suggested they quietly terminate the foreigner and promptly dispose of his body to avoid being the target of a plausible vendetta. Those who had cheered for them earlier were very much against that, because everyone knows mafiosi don't usually come in such perfect specimens.

Jungkook's face had turned blue by the time Taehyung got to him. Manuel did not even see the swinging blow that hit him in the jaw. He stumbled backwards, lip bleeding and mind stunned.